Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi anticipating difficult Indianapolis weekend MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi anticipating difficult Indianapolis weekend

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi anticipating difficult Indianapolis weekend

Valentino Rossi is anticipating another difficult race in Indianapolis this weekend, despite recent improvements to the performance of his factory Ducati GP11.1 machine. The Italian used new front-end parts at the last race in Brno and the modifications gave Rossi much more confidence in the braking zone and corner entry. He was still only sixth but he finished just over 12 seconds...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 August 2011 11:36)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Anyway, back to Ducati

Going back to Brno, I'm still confused about what went on with the Ducatis.

All the talk of improvements has been about Rossi's bike, nothing was done to Hayden's (understandably if it is soon to be obsolete)

The new parts for the front end were brought for Brno so presumably were on the bike at the outset (see later comments about no new parts tried for the test) but FP1 was the usual story of Rossi / Hayden 2.5 and 2.7s off pace. Rossi improved by about 1.2s in FP2, Hayden a couple of tenths. FP3 was wet with both right on the pace.

Qualifying saw both struggling again in the first 45 minutes, almost 2 seconds down. With 10 minutes or so to go, Hayden first of all shot right up the timesheets knocking lumps off his time. It came from nowhere. Then Rossi immediately did the same putting him 6th and Hayden 7th (I think) Hayden was improving again on his next (and last) attempt but screwed it it running wide somewhere. Rossi had one last attempt, getting a tow behind Simo and ended 6th. Hayden would have been right behind had he not screwed it.

So, what I was wondering at the time, was where those times came from - from both. I assumed they had both used the really soft front to get them and still don't know if they did or not.

In the interviews afterwards Rossi never mentioned new parts but said they had found a good set up. Hayden just said they found something in the last 15 minutes. So, two completely different bikes, both off the pace, then with 10 - 15 minutes to go, both suddenly 'find something'. That's the bit I find confusing, purely out of curiosity (regardless of team or rider)

Up to this point no mention was made of new parts, other than Rossi saying they had some new electronics to try in the test aftrwards. Now it transpires that they had new parts on the front of the bike but, according to the above editorial, no new parts for the test (what happened to the electronics?) If Rossi had those parts fitted all weekend, they made no difference at all until that last 15 minutes. Hayden however, improved without new parts.... What was going on?

In the test afterwards, as mentioned, Rossi didn't try any new parts at all, so nothing more to conclude there. Hayden tried the new front end parts on the GP11.1 but only went 2 tenths faster than his qualifying time on the old bike.

Confused - yes.

Does it matter - not really, just confused.

Hayden or a Ducati mechanic, not sure exactly, let it slip that the new parts include new CF construction to the headstock to transmit more feedback to the rider. Not just a fork rearrangement.

Maybe they are getting somewhere.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

mcn this is a "new story"

take a look at this site mcn ,the stories/topics are so old they are including the crash of laurence of arabias brough superior,then when you add something "new" it's about Rossi's plight with the Ducati ,yawn !

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

BORING

THIS IS BORING. ROSSI ROSSI ROSSI!!!! I EVEN NOT READ IT FULLY CAUSE IT BORING. DUCATI IS HISTORY. ONLY BEASTY (BEAST BITCHY) LEFT. SO FIND ANOTHER NEWS, LIKE LORENZO OR STONER OR DOVI OR SPIES!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Bulto (the dog with a bone) ;)

I am a little confused also but i heard on the Eurosport commentary (i think) that Ducati found something over night for Saturday's FP.. I didn't think it was a new part as such, what i heard was they had drilled out parts of the headstock to give it a little more flex in order to get some more feeling in the front which was instantly a hit with the rider/riders.

I am with you though, it does seem strange that they were still struggling right up to the dying minutes of the quali session despite finding this miracle cure Friday night... also, i was under the impression (again i think the ES boys said it) that only two riders chose to run with the new softer fronts all weekend as they didn't work for everyone... Ducati were not the bikes mentioned as using them which if this is true then it put's your tyre theory to bed..

I am as confused as you and i would also like to know how they suddenly got that bike working.. I mean, 6 seconds off of second place round such a long track compared to where Rossi has been all season is some going... I don't know, maybe they pushed harder? who knows..

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

hah...

Why not go to the 'Lorenzo will never give up' thread...with its massive 13 posts....

Nobodies interested in lorenzo...he's just a wannabe rossi with his post race antics...

Stoner is hellish quick rider....but got no real persona...so he too is boring in terms of selling stories...

But then we have the 9 TIME WORLD CHAMPION...who for the first time in his illustrious carreer may finish below fourth place in the championship...(the last time was his first season in 125's)

Battling to make the duke a consistant winner....

And WHEN he does it will be headline news for weeks on end....

And that will be 2012....i bet ya...

Reply to this Topic
Serjuna

Mar 11

Serjuna says:

Nice one Leemuz

I follow GP racing for 25 years. there was Rainey, Doohan, schwantz etc, and all the other amazing riders. But let me tell you, Valentino gave the racing fans the most amazing races / batles / celebrations / humor interviews / gracious in defeat, etc for so many years

thats why  Rossi fans don't give up on him

Reply to this Topic
Molehillbmx

Oct 09

Molehillbmx says:

2012.......Year of the stoner!!!!

Full gone conclusion....Unless Ducati&Rossi pull there finger out & if he beats stoner in 2012 he really will be the GOAT.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Why just Stoner?  What about Lorenzo in 2012?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Moaner

Definitely new bits on the forks, the spindle being clamped with a nut instead of threaded into the fork bottom was one, to offer more flex... really? Something as simple as that you would have thought would have been tried a long time ago..

Hayden or an engineer also let slip that there were new CF inserts in the headstock to provide more feel.

All these things were on the bike over the weekend which left nothing new to try in the test (for Rossi, Hayden got to try them in the test)

If the improvement in quali lap time had just been with Rossi's bike I'd assume it was down to getting a set up with the new bits. But it was the fact that Hayden improved too. Different bike, no new parts.

Weird.

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

next year

it would be stoner, lorenzo, super sic, spies battles. rossi and hayden out cause their bike isn't enought yet. i hope hayden could put challenge a bit cause he ever been my idol since 2006. HAYDEN, KICK YOUR SIDE MATE OR YOU'LL BE TURTLE ALL SEASON.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices