Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you want traction control? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Do you want traction control?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you want traction control?

MCN would like to know: do you want traction control? Vote in the poll and add your comment at the bottom of the page!  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 August 2011 15:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

My VT750's okay as it is thanks

rides great and never saw the need on my 'blade either

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Mid-winter it's handy 'cos the roads are so slimey & once you've spun up it seems to take an age to match the road speed to your tyre speed to stop it snapping round... TC would be useful but I guess that doesn't effect too many people here eh?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Traction control

My bikes already have traction control - it's called a throttle.

On large modern bikes with a lot of horsepower I see the point in traction control.  However, I have owned both a Fireblade and a Blackbird in the past I never had issues with traction on either machine.  In fact, if it had been factory-fitted as a safety aid it would not have been activated at any time I owned those bikes.  Besides, with modern tyre technology, you would have to be pretty brutal with the throttle to lose traction.  

I am always cautious about any 'safety aid' that robs the rider of feel or control.  While I accept the argument for making machines safer, in some cases I think such devices prevent the rider from devloping a comprehensive skill-set of riding abilities.  As an example I grew up on 1970's machinery that did not have the handling, tyres (in particular) or brakes of a modern machine.  We needed to develop a good set of riding skills to master those machines and ride them safey.  OK, modern machines may not require the same finesse but I am geateful for the skills I developed.  One day they may just be the difference between an off and a scary moment. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
m18mga

Aug 11

m18mga says:

Gotta agree with hedgehog 5, i ride in all weathers all year round i'd love a bit of traction control to help out sometimes i just cant see how it can be a bad thing, although people do need to realise it will only control the traction within limits of the laws of science, i know a few people with fast (ish) cars that seem to think the can enter a corner at any speed they want and the TC will fix it!!!

Reply to this Topic
JamesQGM

Feb 10

JamesQGM says:

Slippery Roundabouts

Whens it's wet/slimey TC would be very handy coming off Slippery Roundabouts. It's a great safety feature, that with modern systems, doesn't intrude on riding.

Reply to this Topic
JamesQGM

Feb 10

JamesQGM says:

Slippery Roundabouts

Whens it's wet/slimey TC would be very handy coming off Slippery Roundabouts. It's a great safety feature, that with modern systems, doesn't intrude on riding.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

TC

Funny how this article is all about TC-on your road bike--but the intro pics are------- nuff said

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Traction Control or 'I can now go faster' control?

It's a slippery slope from here. Ever noticed how riders with ABS ride closer to the vechile in front? Ever notice how riders with S1000RR's treat the throttle like a button? TC may be a great safety feature, but lets be honest, it will be used to ride faster/harder/quicker/closer.

Also TC does not stop the bike from sliding, so I'm not sure how it will help on greasy road surfaces, other than to stop the back spinning up.

Don't forget, this system was born on the race track, which I feel is where it belongs. We've seen electronic gremlins curse even the most well prepared race bikes (GP/WSB) what will happen when an overly reliant rider's TC stops working?

Agree with MarcusMarsh 100%

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Risk Compensation

Something interesting I read a while ago on ABS, just swap 'ABS' for 'TC'

The hypothesis of risk homeostasis holds that everyone has his or her own fixed level of acceptable risk. When the level of risk in one part of the individual's life changes, there will be a corresponding rise or fall in risk elsewhere to bring the overall risk back to that individual's equilibrium. Wilde argues that the same is true of larger human systems, e.g. a population of drivers.

For example, in a Munich study, half a fleet of taxicabs were equipped with anti-lock brakes (ABS), while the other half had conventional brake systems. The crash rate was the same for both types of cab, and Wilde concludes this was owing to drivers of ABS-equipped cabs taking more risks, assuming that ABS would take care of them, while the non-ABS drivers drove more carefully since ABS would not be there to help in case of a dangerous situation.

Reply to this Topic
r6buz

May 05

r6buz says:

If I am riding for speed or transport, then TC is great as it allows me to concentrate on something else. If I am riding for fun then I want to concentrate on riding. If this means I'm slower then so what.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices