Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you want traction control? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Do you want traction control?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you want traction control?

MCN would like to know: do you want traction control? Vote in the poll and add your comment at the bottom of the page!  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 August 2011 15:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

How can people not want TC?

Sure, it should be a switchable option, but it should definitely be an option.

Some of you ride only sports bikes, and only when the weather is good, or in the summer months. Some of us ride 365 days a year, regardless of weather. There are plenty of times during the winter months, when heavy gritting, ground frost and other factors make riding far more hazardous. Having TC won't stop you from binning it after losing the front end, but at least it makes white lines, hatchings, tarmac banding and drain covers less likely to deposit you into the oncoming traffic.

Next thing you know people will be complaining about mandatory helmet legislation.... People used to think that cigarettes were good for you, and that lead in petrol was a good thing. Things change, as we find ways to counteract certain risks, we should take the opportunity with both hands. Particularly when TC is so uninvasive in all but the most extreme scenarios.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

traction control or quality control?

Traction control isn't something I want on a bike. That is to say it's not top of my list of requirements. If it's fitted, fine. If it's not, fine. I feel the same way about ABS too and will probably feel the same way about stability programmes or whatever else the boffins decide will make motorcycling safer. Not bothered one way or the other.

What I would really like to see is a greater selection of new bikes that are practical workhorses and reasonably priced transport. Ones that will standup to the UK weather for more than 2 years before they dissolve into a pile of rust and corroded alloy.

I've not really answered the question but traction control isn't that important to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Definitely not

There is definitely a misconception of what trcation control is for. It has one purpose and one purpose only and that is to prevent the rear wheel from breaking loose if too much HP is being applied to it. Some of you (some who even have it) don't realize it is still possible to break the tire loose with TC on. I've tried it on the BMW and done it. Haven't been on the ZX-10R though. This is a great tool on the track where you are constantly running the engine between 10-13000 rpms where all your peak HP is. It is great when you are leaned over and trying to exit the turn faster than your competitor with all that HP. I agree the electronics are capable of sensing what's going on at the rear wheel and reacting better than any human. Awesome for the track.  And in regards to the BMW, it bloody well needs TC if you're going to ride it like it was designed to be ridden.

The problem I have is I ride a bike on the street and do not ride it like I'm on the track.  I have 121 RWHP on my Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX to the Euros). I constantly ride between 4000 and 8000 rpms, cruising at 5000 mostly.  At 5000 I only have 60 RWHP.  At 8000 rpm I have 110 RWHP.  Off the line, I only have about 15. If it's wet outsides and even if there are patches of oil or ice on the road, I ride a gear or two higher than normal to limit the available HP going to my rear wheel. I also exercise common sense and twist the throttle more slowly. The only thing TC will do for me is require that I pay more money for the bike up front and have to take it to a competent dealer (if i can find one) to work on for who knows what price when it goes bad. I don't need the added complexity and potential problems. TC just makes the overall cost of ownership increase on a street bike.

Somehow, the TC fanatics think that TC on a street bike will magically keep you from crashing when you whack open the throttle exiting a corner. See my 1st paragraph. I can break the tire loose with TC on. TC does not magically wipe off oil or diesel once it gets on your tire. It does not salt the road. It does not blow dry the road. It does not control your front tire either. When you slide, you slide. End of...  You are still required to have good skills to ride a bike safely.

BTW, I'm not a technophobe. I'm a believer in ABS. Been using it for 7 years on BMWs until now and I kind of miss it. Very easy to lock up a set of radial brakes. I can no longer be lazy. I'm getting my braking skills back day by day.

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

I love spinning my back wheel up on wet roads, and doing wheelies on dry roads, to me a motorbike is about simplicity, i have a single cylinder 640 ktm duke, with a carb, which is easy to fix should something bad happen, not that its likely because there isnt any fancy electronics, and its a laugh to ride if you know how to ride a motorbike without a computer to help you

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Traction

I have ABS on my bike and it's rare it interferes aside from the rear at low speeds (due to a heavy right foot and the suspension being set up by default for someone 50% heavier than me). I like having ABS. I also like having the off switch. I like the idea of traction control but again, the off switch is a necessity. I'm one of those utter prats who thinks that if they're going to put massive of electronics on bikes they might as well just put ABS (perhaps not TC just yet as they're currently making it expensive to recoup R&D costs) on every bike but importantly with the option to say no to it and switch the bugger off. These things do indeed potentially cause issues with being something else to go wrong but given they should only kick in under extreme conditions anyway (my ABS has never activated under hard braking as I've never lost grip) where you were going to lose control anyway, what's the problem? It might save your life. You could say that a more expensive helmet is a waste of money when a cheaper one meets the standards, but we all know it's worth spending that extra cash even if it is just something that you have to replace every few years. You may never see any use out of it but when you need it, it could save your life. To me, the same applies to these electronic aids. Hopefully they should just sit there and do absolutely nothing, but the time they do kick in, they may well save you from becoming intimately familiar with a tree or someone's car. We all like to think our riding skills are great, 90% of riders think they're better than average. The simple fact is that I can not modulate my front brake as fast as ABS can and I can not detect the very early loss of traction and stop it progressing as fast as TC can. These aids should be totally unnoticeable until shit goes badly wrong, at which time they may save your life or at least save you fixing your bike and buying a new hat. Nuff said, really. The other thing is that if they do go wrong, they shouldn't stop the bike from running so you can get them fixed at your leisure... or put some tape over the flashing warning light.

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

People talking about ABS aswell, if i had abs on my bike i would have wrote my mates girldfriends car off, or atleast caused considerable damage, but i dont have abs and when she turned infront of me at about 20mph in a car park unaware of where i was i skidded sideways at the last moment and clouted her car side on, instead of me going front wheel first into the door. Yes she should of looked where she was going, but the ability to skid saved loads of money and both vehicles are relativly damage free, and i have never locked the front wheel under braking. Riding ability is what is needed, not computer power.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Why??

Why should you need traction control on a road bike unless you intend to drive aggressively and at the limit of traction. This is simply not what the public roads are for.

Reply to this Topic
Sora

Aug 11

Sora says:

Evolution

Ok I totally argree we will probably never really need TC on the road. But Iam a great believer in evolution. Just look at bikes through the decades. We think we are being threatened by technology ,but to be honest I'm glad of technology ,its got us to where we are today with the bikes. We will probably look back in 20years time and laugh at how primitive are bikes are now ,as I look back to my old z650 kwack a great bike in its day but in todays world I look back at how crap the brakes and the handling was, which at that time I thought was brilliant. Roll on evolution as long as it still puts a smile on my face bring it on.

Reply to this Topic
Evogt

Apr 05

Evogt says:

Not needed

Why the hell do you need any electronic aids on a road bike? You cant do more than 60/70 MPH anyway LOL. Half the fun of riding is controlling the bike with your wright wrist connected via a cable and non of this fly by wire crap. Give me an ill handling 80's superbike over any of this modern stuff LOL.

Reply to this Topic
Outaholic

Dec 05

Outaholic says:

I have TC on a fairly low powered (110bhp) bike. In wet and damp conditions the back has spun up a couple of times whilst cornering, but the TC cuts in (I imagine) after my wrist! Consequently, I don't think it works that well, and I could easily live without it.

JS

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices