Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha breaks silence on Japanese Grand Prix MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha breaks silence on Japanese Grand Prix

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha breaks silence on Japanese Grand Prix

Yamaha has finally broken its silence on the re-scheduled Japanese Grand Prix, and senior management have confirmed they expect Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies to attend the Twin Ring Motegi race on October 2. Honda, Ducati and Suzuki have all previously stated that if the race was given the go ahead, they all expected their contracted riders to compete. Yamaha had delayed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 August 2011 10:44)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
LaughingGas

Oct 08

LaughingGas says:

Strange how all the riders are less gobby when a contract is waved in front of them.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

eddy999

You make a great spokesman for Lorenzo & co, stop making excuses for them. Ordinary people live and work around Montegi wirth no risk. People are travelling in to the area from Japan and abroad without worry, it's only a few overpaid idiot GP riders making a fuss.

Reply to this Topic
KoreanBikeJourno

Dec 10

Korea

Dorna should go to Yeongam Circuit instead. Just a short hop across the water and lots of Korean fans thirsty for their first international motorcycle event.

Reply to this Topic
ChupaChump

Aug 11

ChupaChump says:

Move it or lose it...

I'll enjoy seeing all the other riders adoptng Rossi's glow in the dark colour scheme.

I wouldn't go personally but I am just a mere mortal - not a GP god...

Reply to this Topic
WLF2001

Mar 11

WLF2001 says:

Boybilly1967

I hardly see how you can equate dying a slow painfull death with an excuse. I also dont understand how you can say people in the area are living and working with no risk, lets see whats happening to those same people in 20 years time, do a bit of research into the problems suffered by those in the vicinity of Chernobyl. Reports in recent years about Chernobyl have suggested an excess of cancer deaths ranging between 30 000 and 1 million. Fukushima released at the very least the same amount of radiation as Chernobyl, many experts believe much more. Top scientists within the field admit that there are still many unknowns about radiation and its effects so I'm not sure how you, cthwaites and the likes are so adament its safe. I know its not a place I would like to go for some years, the locals have no choice, its were they live and work, Moto GP does have a choice. Do a little research and you will find its not as straight cut as you think. Sorry to bore you all, rant over . .

Reply to this Topic
Seppuku69

Aug 11

Seppuku69 says:

@WLF2001: "Fukushima released at the very least the same amount of radiation as Chernobyl, many experts believe much more"

Fukushima has released less than 10% of airborne radiation than that released by Chernobyl. There were leak(s) into the ocean, but one might argue that human exposure is limited in this case. However one judges radiation emission, it is factually incorrect to say what you said.

Please do not present inaccuracy as fact to suit a personal agenda. Some people read what is written by someone they believe to be a knowledgeable author as gospel. I suggest you follow your own advice and "Do a little research...."

Reply to this Topic
WLF2001

Mar 11

WLF2001 says:

Seppuku69

Firstly I really dont want to get involved in an online argument over the issue, never mind bore the pants off everyone else but you have left me with little option but to defend myself. Please read a real experts opinions below . . .

"For the first two days after the accident, the wind blew east from Fukushima towards monitoring stations on the US west coast; on the third day it blew south-west over the Japanese monitoring station at Takasaki, then swung east again. Each day, readings for iodine-131 at Sacramento in California, or at Takasaki, both suggested the same amount of iodine was coming out of Fukushima, says Wotawa: 1.2 to 1.3 × 1017 becquerels per day. In the 10 days it burned, Chernobyl put out 1.76 × 1018 becquerels of iodine-131, which amounts to only 50 per cent more per day than has been calculated for Fukushima Daiichi. It is not yet clear how long emissions from the Japanese plant will continue. Similarly, says Wotawa, caesium-137 emissions are on the same order of magnitude as at Chernobyl." - Gerhard Wotawa of Austria's Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics

Further to that a spokesman for Tepco suggested it could even end up being worse than Chernobyl. I agree that some say it may not end up being as bad as Chernobyl but that cant be yet be stated as fact. As I said at the end of my post its not as clear cut as you think, so dont tell me I need to follow my own advice, I have done my research, it would appear you should be the one following my advice. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Rossi

Reports in the Italian media suggest that it may not be just Valentino Rossi who stays away from the Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi over radiation fears--there are now suggestions that the entire factory team may not attend the race.

Rossi seemed to stall as long as possible before making his feelings on Motegi public, saying that the sanctioning body (Dorna) made the wrong decision in deciding to hold the race after the Fukishima nuclear disaster. Rossi told the BBC and other news sources that he "probably" won't race at Motegi. He has also suggested to the Italian media that MotoGP would be better off holding the event at Suzuka.

A source close to the team suggests that no official decision has been made about Motegi or Marlboro Ducati's involvement.

Insiders suggest that Ducati MotoGP may intend to claim force majeure about the Japanese round of the championship.

While Rossi's statement has brought catcalls from the cheap seats--some suggest the reason he doesn't want to race at Motegi is because his Ducati lacks competitiveness--if he does indeed sit out the Motegi round it will be a massive blow for his Japanese fans. Like the rest of the world, Japan is home to a huge Rossi fan club, and was at one time one of the strongest markets for his official merchandise.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

What about the food?

Everyone is concerned about the airborne and ground level radiation.  What about the other resources?  Japan loves to export their goods all over the world but they import very little.  Most food and drink consumed in Japan is produced there.  Radiation contaminated the cooling water at the reactors which also leaked into the environment (surface and into the water table). This water is used to grow food, produce drinks and food products and is used while cleaning and taking showers, etc.  The Japanese get their seafood from the contaminated seas.  Do you really want to bet that all the radioactive contamination has been cleaned or isolated from all these products?  This runs a lot deeper than the tarmac they ride on.  And to suggest that the Japanese goverment and Dorna have been forthcoming with the accuracy of their reports is naiive.  I have yet to meet a government or business that is completely honest when their bottom line is currency. 

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

WLF2001

Yes you are boring us a little, you are yet another 'self appointed' spokesman for a handfull of rich people who do not want to go to Montegi. It has been reported as safe to go and there was no way Dorna would say there was no risk if there really was. There is radiation all around us in everyday life, all steel made since 1945 is radioactive to some degree. Does that scare you?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle