Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mod 1 U turn from stand still Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 1 U turn from stand still

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Mod 1 U turn from stand still

Hi guys, first post and simple question.

Been riding for about 10 months now and have finally decided to ditch the L plates (and maybe upgrade if I can afford it).
Managed to book a mod 1 test ridiculously early (tommorow in fact) and have been rush-practicing in the past few evenings on a quiet road for the slow manouvers.

Now, I can do full lock U turns easily. I can't do them neatly after just setting off. I can however do them from a stand still.

Can I just go:
"look left, look right, U turn"
Instead of
"Look left, look right, set off, lifesaver, u turn"?

It might have been better if I wasn't so eager to get the earliest booking possible :sleep:

Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 August 2011 21:56)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Lifesavers

Before moving off on any manouver do lifesavers, this includes pushing your bike at the start. Forget them and kiss mod 1 goodbye.

Check mirrors

Lifesaver both sides

set off

lifesaver BEFORE starting turn.

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Thanks for the reply but...

I know I have to do all the looks and lifesavers for the different sections but what I meant is can I skip the "run up" part where you're supposed to get some balance before U turning and do the initial "look left look right" then immidiately U turn from a stop without moving forward at all. Then, when I look right before turning it'll also count as the lifesaver.

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

In a word

No. You've got to progress, lifesaver, turn.

Reply to this Topic
EndlessDelusion

Aug 11

Thanks!

Ah thanks! Got it an a few hours.. better start practicing.

Reply to this Topic
Biketester

Apr 10

Biketester says:

Mod 1 U turn from stand still

Yes you can do your U turn from a standstill.

After you have completed your slow ride the examiner will explain the U turn to you. You should then take rear obs and may then move in to your start position (unless you want to carry out the U turn from your existing point).

Once you have stopped take one more good direct rear obs and then complete the U turn.

No need to wobble along slowly trying to look round - just have a good look from a standstill and then turn.

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Biketester

When did they change the MOD1? Less than 6 months ago the slow ride followed the U turn and you had to progress and then turn.

Reply to this Topic
Biketester

Apr 10

Biketester says:

When did they change the MOD1?

@Charlie; it changed in mid May this year, all the slow stuff is now done before the higher speed bits. The slow ride is now done after the figure of 8 and before the U turn. See this link for the diagram

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Biketester

Much appreciated, thanks :smile

Reply to this Topic
Hackey

Mar 11

Hackey says:

Recently Passed Mod1

Cant really add to what peeps have said, 

Observations, Rev slowly, go forward ( use all the room you can get) , final shoulder and instead of LOOKING at the floor , look at where you want to go and you will naturally go there. 

DONT USE THE FRONT BRAKE !! 

Good Luck Mate

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices