Skip to content

Discuss This Rider killed braking for a speed camera General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider killed braking for a speed camera

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider killed braking for a speed camera

A motorcyclist was killed after braking too hard for a speed camera, a coroner said. Timothy Rowsell, 64, was doing at least 78mph on a Suzuki GSX-R1000 as he approached the speed camera van on a 50mph road. The camera operator, the only eyewitness to the crash, said she saw smoke coming from the bike’s tyres before Rowsell, a married father-of-two, fell...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 August 2011 14:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

DaineseR6racer......

......The biking fraternaty need you like a hole in the head......you sir.....are a twat of the highest order.

Don't tell me....i can guess your either a copper or someone who rides a bike a never speeds or breaks any laws, if you crashed at 40mph in a 30 mph limit the same would be said about you......biker dies speeding bad bad bad boy go and stand on the naughty step.......grow up you prick.

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Speeding risks

Looks like the best ever advert for ABS to me. 

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Rest In Peace

RIP Tim, condolences to his family.

Tragic circumstances.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Please, excuse my ignorance, but I can't find anything in the Highway Code or any of the Road Traffic Act sections which say that if you ride or a bike, or drive a modified car, or just happen to disagree with a speed limit, that it's okay for you to ignore it?

Yes, some speed limits are wrong. Yes, some are ridiculous. It's funny how no-one moans about limits outside schools etc.: here's a simple proposition for you - either we, as riders actively do something about reducing casualty rates, or, it will get done for us. Blanket ban on bikes? Don't bet against it.

My condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Rowsell.

Reply to this Topic
daineser6racer

Dec 10

homer 40

Try watching two of your friends die from speeding, changes your mentality a bit

supose youl swap with this poor gentlemen and all the others

thought not

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

DaineseR6racer......

What i am saying is that you preach about speed but if you ride a bike you will know that we all speed at some point, don't preach about speeding when you do it yourself, thats hypocritical.

I have seen mates paralised, and some i knew not so well die, but i still speed on occassions and so do you.

You are one of those holyer than thou people, i can tell by your attitude, and by the way no-one dies from speeding its the suuden stop at the end that does the damage, you can break your neck or back at 20mph, so speed on its own is not the culprit. The fact the cash machine made this rider re-act in a negative way caused his death, cars slam on their brakes when spotting a speed van even if under the speed limit for gods sake man wake up and smell reality, answer this question, if the van was not there, would the rider still be here, answer VERY PROBABLY.

Reply to this Topic
flyingpanintothefire

Aug 02

Its not great to read about a fellow bikers death, but maybe some of the desk jockes on here want to remember the following before they start hurtling their normal barage of abuse to any one that has a different oppinion to their myopic ones......Road safety entirely depends on "safe speed behaviour". ... Always ensure that you can stop comfortably, on your own side of the road, ... The faster you go the more difficult it becomes to maintain that knowledge, ...You should always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear without panic braking. ...

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

DaineseR6racer.

This is my last reply to you as you obviously are a knobhead, and I've never had reason to insult anyone on here before, but for you I will make an exception. Lets understand something here, speeding never killed anyone, irresponsible riding or driving kills or mechanical failure which no-one can do anything about. I did 146mph on an empty motorway last year and I'm still here to tell the story and I have friends who have done a lot more and are still alive, depends when and where you do it. No-one was in sight when I decided to have a mad blast so it was only myself in danger. If speeding kills, what speed do you have to achieve when you die, coz Moto GP riders don't seem to reach it! And yes, I have had friends who have died riding bikes, we all know the dangers. I used to tell my late mother that if anything happened to me whilst riding my bike that at least she would know that I went out doing something I loved and she accepted that.

Reply to this Topic
Drzee

Apr 10

Drzee says:

This is a tragic accident, but to blame the police is a bit short sighted, its not uncommon for police to set up speed traps and none of us will ever know why this rider took the action he did.

I would never criticise the rider for speeding or making a mistake, who here hasn't done either before? Unfortunately the consequences on this occasion resulted in someone losing their life.

Condolences to the family.

Simon 

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Yet

the fact remains and is verified, that the great proportion of the causation factor must rest with the presence of the Van. Speed DOES NOT kill, INAPPROPRIATE speed kills. In this case the inappropriateness was due to the unforeseen presence of the speed camera unit as without it, this rider would not have died needlessly. Condolences to the family, and yes, it is entirely right to blame the Dorset Speed Camera Partnership, as either they are blindly incompetent (the siting of the camera was NOT appropriate. Fact. Someone died...) or else they need to accept culpability for this tragic accident as they have failed in their prime purpose - to restrict speed to aid safety. What a pile of pseudo-political excuse-mongering. They shouldn't have called the camera operator as a witness, they should have charged him with manslaughter.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices