Skip to content

Discuss This Rider killed braking for a speed camera General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider killed braking for a speed camera

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider killed braking for a speed camera

A motorcyclist was killed after braking too hard for a speed camera, a coroner said. Timothy Rowsell, 64, was doing at least 78mph on a Suzuki GSX-R1000 as he approached the speed camera van on a 50mph road. The camera operator, the only eyewitness to the crash, said she saw smoke coming from the bike’s tyres before Rowsell, a married father-of-two, fell...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 August 2011 14:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mecki

Aug 09

Mecki says:

Riding fast and speeding?

I have to say, there are far to many wannabe /pick your favourite Moto GP star/ out there who treat the public roads as race tracks. Nearly every time I go for I ride I can observe these moronic adrenalin junkies who seem to think riding a bike is all about getting from A to B as fast as possible and having butterflies in the stomach all the way. Those are usually the riders who get killed or seriously maimed or even worse kill or seriously injure others.I know enough people who brag about all those close shaves they had on the last ride out. Funny - I hardly ever have any.

But it isn't the speed as others have stated correctly that kills or maims, it is the recklessness and/or the total lack of any sense of danger that does. If you fly down a road and go past intersections relying on other motorists to give way, cut blind corners or overtake without enough clear road ahead, I would call that speeding, and it has nothing to do with the actual speed limit.

Riding fast on the other hand is to get from A to B as fast as safely possible.

I am still waiting for scientific proof that speed cameras have actually saved more lives than they have destroyed.

Reply to this Topic
Mecki

Aug 09

Mecki says:

Speed limits

I want to add that I am also still waiting for scientific proof that speed limits have saved more lives than they have destroyed. And that includes all those lives that have been destroyed due to persecution of fast riding because "the law" regards it as speeding.

I wouldn't mind if more unmarked police cars/bikes with cameras where out on the road to catch reckless and dangerous drivers/riders. Then we wouldn't need speed limits and/or cameras.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

To the above

Indeed rhat's what we need. Real humans on the ground with discretion. I think speed limits as they were are needed - 30 limits, etc are crucial and I have no issue with enforcement. Right now speed limits are being dropped all over the place because some people can't reduce their speed for conditions and assume if it says 60, then 60 is safe in all conditions.

I'm sympathising with no party - I have stated facts. The cop van was not an obstacle and had he not placed himself in that situation (i,e. one where if he was seen by the police he would be prosecuted) then the van would have been meaningless. I see a police van about 2 in 5 days a week on my way to work. I still speed when required to catch the lights that make you sit there for over 5 minutes or get past a moron but you just need to accept that if you get caught, you get caught.

His actions made that van an issue for him, the van itself was not an obstacle. I'm sorry but if you believe that we should all be allowed to speed then you are forgetting the majority of drivers who consider a car as just a means to an end and do not think about their standard of driving or how to approach this corner at this speed - nah what's for lunch or the approaching meeting is more important. The danger would be immense from these people - you just can't remove speed limits because most of the population are intelligent / interested enough to handle it safely.

Reply to this Topic
Mecki

Aug 09

Mecki says:

speed limits crucial?

I am sick and tired to hear this nonsense that if there weren't any speed limits/cameras everybody would drive/ride like a maniac. What is the ultimate penalty for reckless and dangerous driving/riding?
Right, the penalty is death, disability and/or living with the guilt having killed or maimed somebody else for the rest of your life.

Does anybody in their right mind really believe a measly £60 fine would be a higher deterrrent? If they would spend the money for speed cameras on education instead this could be far more effective.

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Speeding/cameras

Mecki - did you hear the joke about how many psychiatrists it takes to change a light bulb?  The answer is "one, but the lightbulb has to want to change".  What makes you think education will solve the problem?  

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

cameras

all residential housing estates should have speed cameras on them.

Reply to this Topic
Mecki

Aug 09

Mecki says:

Education

I didn't say more education will solve the problem.
But since punishment obviously doesn't do the trick, why not give something else a go?

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

iancol:

No, I wasn't at the riots.  We didn't have any in Wales (or indeed outside England).

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

SlowLearner

you having a laugh mate, turn the news on there are riots al over the world.

i had no idea you had internet in wales, isnt it just grass land and sheep?, do you even have enough people there stood around for a riot? what would they loot? i bet nobody in wales knows what a blackberry is apart from somthing that grows out of the ground

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

well

it's good to see an exchange of opinions hasn't dissolved into people being petty.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices