Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

Approaching riding in a planned way will quickly help you to improve your motorcycling skills. It will help you spot hazards earlier and plan your progress in an efficient way. Hazards you may encounter can range from physical features such as junctions, roundabouts, bends and hill crests, to the movements of other road users, changes in the road surface and problems that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 August 2011 16:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

mcraven

What have you been reading then?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Arse wipers...

... the number of car drivers who never use their mirrors, either use signals when they could be misinterprered or not at all, bowl into a manouvre at the wrong speed then brake when it is least safe to do so is truly remarkable. I think it's purely down to the relative numbers of bikers on the roads (& the Darwin effect) that we don't associate motorcyclists with this sort of behaviour but I still get cut up by bikers who probably predominantly drive cars as described & carry their bad habits onto 2 wheels.

Much could be said for just saying think & act logically ... this artcile is a guide to the sort of thing you should be thinking about & what is & isn't logical... hopefully to most of us it's 2nd nature... read, agree (or make a reasoned decision not to), move on. For other's unfortunately it clearly isn't.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Advanced riding...

The drilled this into me on my CBT. Who pays for this "advanced" riding?

Reply to this Topic
psychoSam

Aug 12

psychoSam says:

I had it drilled into me on my CBT.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

psychoSam

I guess you passed then.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Speed

Ah, this brings back memories: "Decelerate smoothly to a speed that will bring you to the give way line at the right time to slot into a gap in the trafic, if vision and conditions allow." So that's exactly what I did on my first bike test, and they failed me for it because the car the examiner was in (along with regional head of testers or someone important testing the tester so to speak) got left behind. I knew I was doomed when they told me who this other chap was!

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

Just a thought

If we need advanced training to learn this stuff...

Who trained the first advanced rider?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty new to riding, I know my limitations and I admit could do with a bit of help with my conering but some of this stuff is just commonsense isn't it?

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

Why are some here scared of advanced riding?

Here we go again. The same old naysaying keyboard warriors rolling out the same old sad criticisms whenever MCN produces articles by the IAM, Rospa or any of the other proponents of advanced riding. Stuff that may actually help a load of people ride safer, more efficiently or even faster plus safer. Stuff that may be more effective in your daily riding than screwing on another £400 2bhp-more muffler or some carbon bling. I don’t know whether to fall down and worship at your feet (as you are all apparently riding-Gods) or feel sorry for your pathetic emails that seem to be a reflection of your own inadequacy – really, that’s how you come over to the grown-ups on here. I’d actually like to thank the IAM+MCN for publishing their series of articles, some stuff that comes over as obvious isn’t obvious until you put it into practice. Some stuff you think you do you don’t actually do. Fair enough this planning system comes over as complicated, common sense and obvious ‘on paper’, but its not and its just part (and works with) a much larger system of riding that is best picked up by going on an advanced riding course, of which the IAM has one. This is just a snapshot of a total system that’s based on Roadcraft, which is the system the motorbike cops use. I’m going to guess that a load of cops riding day in and day out in all conditions will have developed a system that pretty much works for the roads (otherwise we’d be seeing dayglow Police BMW’s in the ditch each day). Trust me, none of us learnt this stuff in our CBT or our riding test training, advanced riding goes beyond that. It’s not difficult or hard and many here have already done it. There is no rocket science to it, but like learning to play the piano, changing the cams in your bike, or getting your knee down on the track – sometimes help and advice from people who have been there and done that is a great thing. To the ignorant and anti naysayers here’s a heads-up for you, many of us are fed up with reading your regular uniformed crap. And if you are riding-God’s then maybe you’d like to step forward and really help your fellow bikers (I don’t see much advice from you right now) by volunteering to be IAM observers, Rospa tutors, trackday teachers or advisors to the Police riders over at Hendon! … no – I didn’t think so … wrap it up boys, you’re looking ignorant, old and boring quite frankly. (now you can flame me – a little fyi, I wont care or respond. Try using that same effort to do something positive for biking today why don’t ya) To the silent majority who do want to learn more about riding better you can buy ‘Motorcycle Roadcraft’ from places like Amazon, and you can easily learn to apply it by joining the IAM or Rospa.

Reply to this Topic
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

Wow! Why do we need to bother with Bike Instructors and Tests and all the rest when we could learn everything by sheer osmotic pressure from the egos of some of the Riding Gods on here?!

Why should we worry about what's behind us? After all, it isn't like you'd get some idiot blasting past you at 90mph on a blind bend or double solid white lines is it?

And why should we bother making a riding plan when we can just react to problems when we get to them?

BTW, yes, a lot of it *is* "Common sense stuff", but there's a big difference between reading it on the page and actually *doing* it on the roads, that's what Advanced Training actually gives you, the ability to do it without needing to think about it because it becomes an automatic part of your riding.

Reply to this Topic
CenterOfMass

Oct 12

CenterOfMass says:

Concentrating to much on road craft that you forget to enjoy the ride

its a common belief that once you've done an advanced roadcraft course you then "know" all of the content of the course and never need to think about it again.

Advanced riding is more about raising one's conciousness, so that as you are riding you are making yourself aware of the issues of advanced roadcraft, then you will start practicing the ideas and then it will be a part of your riding so much so that you won't even notice you are doing it.

This process takes time, patience and maturity which unfortunatley can be lacking in the motorcycling community

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices