Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

Approaching riding in a planned way will quickly help you to improve your motorcycling skills. It will help you spot hazards earlier and plan your progress in an efficient way. Hazards you may encounter can range from physical features such as junctions, roundabouts, bends and hill crests, to the movements of other road users, changes in the road surface and problems that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 August 2011 16:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

@James600zx

The point of "Consider a signal" is that a signal is intended to give information to other road users.

If you give signals automatically without bothering to check if there is anyone that will benefit from that information, then you are not using Observation properly, you're just signalling because "well, that's what you do, isn't it?".

Using "The System" is always a thinking process, it isn't simply slavishly applied in all situations at all times no matter what else may or may not be going on around you.

(NB before the pedants get going, on your Advanced Test, you don't have to signal for the Examiner's benefit, ie for those purposes you act is if he's not there)

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

When you're part way round the roundabout and a car comes into view you'll be safer if the driver can see your indicator immediately.

Not using indicators assumes that you are in full control of everything and nothing can surprise you or change your plan. Assumption is the mother of all f@*k ups. This doesn't seem very advanced.

In addition, accounts on here have suggested that using indicators when the trainer thought them unnecessary drew negative comments, which seems daft when it does no harm.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Signals

Well I'm glad that GrahamMarsden and Bolfunga have perfect observation. I stick to the idea that if I can't see anyone around, that just means I can't see anyone around - not that there's no possible danger. Where's the harm in indicating if there's nobody around AS FAR AS YOU CAN TELL? As you said GrahamMarsden "After all, it isn't like you'd get some idiot blasting past you at 90mph on a blind bend or double solid white lines is it?"

Reply to this Topic
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

And so James600zx and Rotop miss the point again...

It is not that I or anyone else have "perfect observation" it is the fact that we *consider* the use of a signal, rather than automatically using it every time *without* consideration for whether it would benefit any other road users.

As I said before, 'Using "The System" is always a thinking process, it isn't simply slavishly applied in all situations at all times no matter what else may or may not be going on around you.'

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Look, Signal, Manoeuvre

Some older riders may remember this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDFqxHLctE&feature=related

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

1970 's Motorcycle Rider Safety Film

Airhead in Germany, with an English narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clw64ntcIVo&feature=related

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

@james600zx, if you are looking far enough ahead to see that there is no one to gain the benefit of a signal, why give one? Not doing it gives your brain a little bit less to deal with on an approach to whatever you're going to be dealing with. If you ride using the most available cerebral space , hopefully you shouldn't have any nasty surprises; being aware of everything going around you which could affect you as a rider is surely a better approach than barrelling blindly in, then having to deal with whatever you sudenly encounter? As has been pointed out by others, it's more about thinking than just leaving it to luck.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Radar.

Seriously? You're all that good?
Indicators are a tool which aid your safety and take no effort to use in advance. Why waste effort on the shall I/shan't I decision anyway?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Did someone say "applying it on the roads"?

That's pretty funny, since the IAM lot that I rode with were apparently using x-ray vision to see the road surface over blind hill crests or around sharp bends.  Vanishing point, my giddy aunt.  And some of the worst drivers that I know are coppers.

There's a certain type of person who gets themselves a shiny badge and believes that because they've shown that they know how to do it right that they no longer actually have to do so. And then there are people who honestly analyse their own riding second by second without needing to join some mass delusion rah-rah club, get their ears talked off by some hypocritical spod or pay lip service to the All Holy System of Motorcycle Control for long enough to get their own gold star.

Reply to this Topic
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

@Rogerborg

Yes, regrettably, there are some who behave in the manner you describe, however there are also many (and most probably a much larger number) who think like some of the posters in this thread believing that their riding is perfect and thus do not even need to consider(!) that they might benefit from even *looking* at the possibility of getting any more training than that which they had for their basic Test or think that they know it all so don't even need to bother to read an article like the one above because there's nothing that they can learn from it.

James600zx is a perfect example of this with his "why bother even thinking about it?" attitude, still missing the point that if you're doing it automatically, you're *not* thinking about what you're doing.

It's not the indicators or the System that improves your safety, it's the *thinking* which does that.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices