Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

Approaching riding in a planned way will quickly help you to improve your motorcycling skills. It will help you spot hazards earlier and plan your progress in an efficient way. Hazards you may encounter can range from physical features such as junctions, roundabouts, bends and hill crests, to the movements of other road users, changes in the road surface and problems that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 August 2011 16:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bolfunga

Aug 07

Bolfunga says:

Nice One...

...CentreOfMass, GrahamMarsden, and (especially) Room 101. Basically said it all between you :O)

I will just add that there's a world of difference between 'common sense' and 'second nature'. Any good advanced course will help you to take the first and turn it into the second.

Ride safe.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I think the IAM system is based on the Police Roadcraft system, which says that "each feature is CONSIDERED on the approach to any hazard"etc. By all means learn it if it helps, but there is no need to adhere to it as strictly as may be perceived? Let's face it, staying shiny side up these days is not always easy !

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Influx of...

...Teachers pets here. "ohh thankyou for making an article telling me that I need to check my mirrors, without this article I never would have though of that" If a rider or driver doesn't know all of this then they haven't passed their driving/riding test. Doing it and doing it correctly is another thing entirely. Seriously guys, this is CBT stuff that's COMPULSORY BASIC TRAINING! not advanced training. Advanced training should be things like - on country roads noticing a change in field colour and knowing that there will likely be a concealed junction or gate at the border. at that junction there's likely to be debris,mud or grass on the road, possible cattle or even a tractor pulling out.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Continued.

I'm not an advanced rider, I have't done any training or track days. However I do believe I am a competent rider and can ride safely while making reasonable progress. I don't think I know everything (I'll include this because if I don't then you'll get the idiots coming out with things like "you think you're a riding god" even though I've never said I was anything but a SAFE rider") But telling people things they can read in the highway code is hardly advanced.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Alright, you Advanced Riding evangelists, answer me this.

What's all this, "consider a signal" nonsense? Why wouldn't you use it every time? Is it because you think your special radar has controlled your situation and nothing can surprise you or change your plan?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

room101

you sound familiar.... but you only joined today....hmmmmm

Reply to this Topic
Bolfunga

Aug 07

Bolfunga says:

@James600zx

I don't consider myself an "advanced riding evangelist" but in response to your question(s): "What's all this, "consider a signal" nonsense? Why wouldn't you use it every time?" I'd just ask you one question back, Why would you?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

That's a rubbish answer!

Reply to this Topic
Bolfunga

Aug 07

Bolfunga says:

It isn't an answer, it's a question. It's also a more appropriate question than yours and one that you might consider (and perhaps attempt to answer) before dismissing it out of hand. In answering my question you might just manage to answer your own. Of course it's easier to just dismiss it as rubbish.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

signals

If there's no one there to signal to, then there is no point in signalling.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices