Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: A planned system of riding

Approaching riding in a planned way will quickly help you to improve your motorcycling skills. It will help you spot hazards earlier and plan your progress in an efficient way. Hazards you may encounter can range from physical features such as junctions, roundabouts, bends and hill crests, to the movements of other road users, changes in the road surface and problems that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 August 2011 16:12)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

Riding position

On cornering their guide has this to say:

The angle between your forearms and the fork legs should be as close to 90° as is possible.

I question if that is even possible let alone advisable.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Fork leg elbow?!

I try to get to 75°  for normal riding, maybe stretch to 80° on a sunday blast.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

room 101

Just spent 4 days in Swindon 3 minutes riding in the town, then I came accross the "Magic Roundabout" well....Bugger me backwards... I didn't have a Bloody Clue what to do but remembered the IAM Advice so I spent 3 and a half days "Planning my way" across the 7 Mini roundabouts and can safely say IAM  now , a Riding GOD. :smile

Reply to this Topic
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

@wobblybiker Re: Elbows

What it actually says is "The closer to 90 degrees the angle of your forearms are to that of the fork legs, the more efficient your steering inputs will become".

What it means is that if you're leaning forward with your arms virtually straight and your weight pushing down on your wrists (so your forearms are near parallel with the forks), it's going to be very difficult to steer, whereas if you grip the tank with your thighs (so your abs and back muscles support your body) your elbows and forearms will naturally drop and be more relaxed so steering will be much easier.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yeh

whether you believe it in or not, the best part is that it is being debated.

The IAM book is very simplified and not as integrated as Motorcycle Roadcraft. Personally I've found that the advanced stuff helps me increase my speed / progress most of the time. But there are times where you want to switch it off and you can do.

In my job, for example it's much better to be able to predict the oncoming cardiac arrest so you can be prepared for it rather than responding to it without knowing. Advanced riding is about that kind of thing.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Block gearchanging?

Dangerous twaddle, If you're not always in the correct gear you're not in proper control of the vehicle and able to take avoiding action when necessary.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Roadcraft

says you can use either block or sequential. Block makes sense on some machines if you're slowing down to turn off and want to be in first. Sequential is frustrating on smaller machines and can wear out clutch, etc faster.

Myself I use sequential and then block if I'm stopping.

Block has its place, for example if you're braking hard for a corner in a straight line you might need to go down two gears depending on the gearing and engine size of the bike. Myself I rarely brake that hard unless I (or someone else) has fucked up.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

phil

Firstly,it's a machine, it wears out and needs maintenance, more power wears clutches faster. I'd say if you're unable to downshift sequentially fast enough and not performing an emergency stop you're either reckless, incompetant or on a race track.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices