Skip to content

General Help (sorry sale issue about a car) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Help (sorry sale issue about a car)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Help (sorry sale issue about a car)

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this matter. I know it is to do with selling my car ( I am keeping my bike though).

I sold my car about 10 days ago. Got a phone call today(bank holiday weekend; so can't check 'till Tuesday) saying; "I want my money back as the car broke down on the way home. I have been in contact with VOSA and Police and they said for me to get my money back. I either want money for the repairs or a full refund plus repairs"

When I sold it to him, he had a test drive and before anything was signed I showed the MOT certificates which had some issues, I didn't mislead him or lie about anything. He then signed for the car (bit odd it was the son's[21] but they put it in the grandads name who was not there). 
The one thing I didn't do was a receipt, bit stupid, I know. 

I was wondering if he had any leg to stand on or not whether I do have to pay him for some of the 'repairs' or not. 

AJ

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 August 2011 13:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

I'm pretty sure that once a private sale has been done that there is no come back unless you offered some kind of a warranty/guarentee.

I would get the paperwork sent of the the DVLA sharpish to get the details changed over as you don't want to find out of spite he tries to get his own back with speed cameras (might not be an issue if broken down) etc.

Was it cash in hand? The bit about the grandad is a bit weird!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Have a read of this weeks MCN

"your legal questions",this will put it in black and white for you.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
mydogben

Aug 02

mydogben says:

AJR

Check this out, its helped me in the pas

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If it were

a private sale, then basically it's up to him to make sure the car is what he wants (caveat emptor I think the term is).

Do bear in mind the car may have been in A1 condition when you sold it, but its been 10 days in someone else's hands now; how do you know the new owner hasn't fucked it up (driving it hard, modifying it or neglecting routine things like fluid levels)?

Without knowing the nature of the breakdown, its tricky to tell whether it's something that would have happened anyway.

I think he's fucking you about to be honest.

Edit: I personally think the bit about VOSA / Police "telling" him to get his money back is bull to be honest - I think it's a ploy into getting you to hand over money you don't owe, and when all said and done, if he didn't know his way round the car when he bought it, he should've taken a mate who does know (the same advice as if you are looking to buy something you're not sure about).

Reply to this Topic
Fazerpod

Mar 06

Fazerpod says:

Caveat emptor = Buyer Beware

He has NO leg to stand on.  You did not give any guarantees and the car was sold as seen.

No way did the police or VOSPA tell him to "get his money back".  He has no legal right to ask.

Ignore it.

BTW I'm not a lawyer but I have studied law as part of my professional qualification.

P.s. If he cuts up awkward in anyway, just shop to the old bill for putting the car in his grandad's name.  It's called fronting (to save on the insurance).  THey can nick him for driving without insurance and they can take the car off him.

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

A private sale?

then its 'Buyer Be aware'. Nothing to do with you now mate. I hope you got cash or had the cheque cleared before you gave him the keys though. Its simply nothing to do with you now, so forget it. Both the VOSA and Police wouldant want to know as technically its a civil matter. 

Reply to this Topic
lesleyh

Aug 09

lesleyh says:

He did take it for a test drive. Presumably he checked out what he could mechanically while it was parked up and got a feel of the car while driving it. I wouldn't worry. Just send off asap your paperwork.

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Cheers guys

Cheers for the response's I am glad everyone is agreeing and saying I am not in the wrong and don't owe him anything.

Yer I did send off the paperwork the next day so beginning of the week, I did get paid cash in hand.

I am just a bit worried as the family did seem a bit pikey'ish ( whole family turned up[8 of them] ranging from a baby in a chair to a 50ish year old) and they know where I live. 

AJ

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Wouldn't do any harm to go down the

police station and relay all this information to them would it? maybe just mention you're a bit concerned with them coming round mob handed and all that, might be you can make a statement? Other than that, try and arrange a mate might be able to pop over if they insist on coming back :smile Think they're probably just testing the water though, suspect not much will come of it :smile 

Reply to this Topic
lesleyh

Aug 09

lesleyh says:

Thats the thing when selling anything from your home address, especially vehicles. You always get comebacks. It's a pain in the ass when you want rid of said vehicle and you get some dick coming along happy as larry on the day then takes it away and comes back to haunt you. My advice, ignore and see what comes of it. If they are pikies,, shoot em. You'll be doing society a favour:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle