Skip to content

General 17 YO First Bike - What to get? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 17 YO First Bike - What to get?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

NewBiker1982

Aug 11

NewBiker1982 says:

17 YO First Bike - What to get?

Hi,

Recently passed my bike test and due to my age, as i am sure you are all aware, i am restricted to 33 bhp. Not that i am in any way looking for a 33bhp specific bike. I have a rough budget of around £2000, and to be brutally honest i am rather stumped at what to go for. The obvious choices present themselves in the form of a hornet etc... But i am looking for something with somewhat of a personality rather than something leaning towards the more generic side of the biking spectra. So any help would be much appreciated, not that my criteria is at all constricting......

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 August 2011 23:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The other bit you need to consider

is insurance - it'll probably scare you when you get prices for it.

Anyhow, what do you plan to do with the bike? Commuting? Touring? Two-up? A-roads? Town? M-ways?

Don't forget security for your new wheels - have you still got £2k after factoring in these things?

Edit: how about an early Kawasaki ER6? They can be had for about £2 - £2.5k if you look around and are restrictable. Or save a few quid and get it's predecessor, the ER5.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
NewBiker1982

Aug 11

NewBiker1982 says:

Insuarnce? What are you talking? 

Looking for something functional, yet fun with a bit of character........ i am aware i may be looking for something that doesn't exist 

Reply to this Topic
ukontour

May 11

ukontour says:

what bike

Have a look here http://www.bat-motorcycles.co.uk/33bhp.asp and insurance will sting you a bit

Reply to this Topic
NewBiker1982

Aug 11

NewBiker1982 says:

insurance

dont think it will be too much off a problem, i can cover that, still totally unsure of what to go for

I would love a goose 350 with a bit of work needing done, but finding one is somewhat of a challenge 

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

what about

DRZ400

Reply to this Topic
karlmelton

Jul 11

karlmelton says:

Just passed

myself, im on same restricted license, i had a ped last year so i built myself 1 year no claims which helps me a little, I am looking at getting a Yamaha Fzr600 and restricting it, bandits are supposed to be good learning bikes also. Before the FZR i was checking out the Kawasaki ZXR400's, Yamaha FZR400, Honda VFR400, and either the Kawasaki ZZR400 or the ZZR600, all of which are under £400 a year for me to insure.

Hope this helped :smile

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

a dzr 400 would only be good if you are very tall.
the insurances will still be a better deal on a bike a 17 rather than a car at 17.

as when i passed my bike test at 20 and got a bmw r100gs it was only 250 3rd party fire and theft for the year and restricted to 33bhp  and has keeped getting cheaper. as i am now 25 and soon be getting classic policey.

Reply to this Topic
londonbill

Apr 10

londonbill says:

I like this

"But i am looking for something with somewhat of a personality rather than something leaning towards the more generic side of the biking spectra".

Very well put :lol:

It took me 25 years of riding to see the light in the way you have.

A V Twin might certainly be the way to go, and there are some great mid sized bikes you could consider at a reasonable price.

In your shoe's I might consider an old Ducati 600/750SS.

If you can find one that's been well looked after, they are a hoot to ride, and have loads of pedigree and character and most importanly, when you're out at the local bike meet you're going ot have something different and interesting, rather than A.N Other annonymous Japanese disposable motorcycle.

Reply to this Topic
londonbill

Apr 10

londonbill says:

In fact

This has wetted my apetite and I found this on ebay, which looks like a great well looked after example.

Provided the bike has been regularly serviced and generally looked after, you really cannot go wrong with one of these lovely little old school Dukes

They still look good, the overall design is timeless (unlike most Japanese bikes of this age), and you can pick up a great example for less than the price of a new 125.

:wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-750SS-/270805993374?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f0d4b879e

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

Without a doubt

A restricted Suzuki SV650S a great bike for a new rider, awsome machine.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices