Skip to content

Ask an Expert CB600 for ladies? The jump from 125cc Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > CB600 for ladies? The jump from 125cc

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bumchicken

Apr 11

bumchicken says:

CB600 for ladies? The jump from 125cc

Hi,

I'm a lady biker who has recently passed her test and I'm now looking to buy a bigger bike.. In particular, I have my heart set on a Hornet. From what I can tell it's a good all-rounder, very dependable and restricts moderately well.

My concern is that I'm  5ft5 and not very strong. I've sat on one and can get both feet on the ground but I'm not sure how difficult I will find handling it - could any lady (or smaller male!) Hornet owners chime in with their experience?

And does anyone have any general advice for minimising embarassing drops etc when making the leap from 125 to big bike? :-)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 August 2011 20:42)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

you can

get the seat lowered and made thinner if you know what i mean so its easier to touch the ground. My girlfriends is thinking of riding and she can just the touch the ground with tiptoes and shes about 5ft4 on my hornet. Other than that fit good crash bungs as with them hornets generally dont sustain much damage when dropped. Other than that its just experience and luck. Just practice in empty carparks etc. Also dont drive into a busy supermarket carpark its like suicide especially if u dont want a low speed drop.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Easy

Once the bike is moving then to all intents and purposes it's weightless. If you've got your feet on the floor already then you can hold it up at lights etc. If you drop it then you'll need help getting it back up like anyone else. Just because you're female doesn't mean you won't have the same problems us males do :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Hornet

Having had an extended loan of a (later model) hornet some time ago I would expect it would be very good for you. They are fairly small physically and have very sweet handling (Suspension is perfect being soft enough for bumpy roads but well controlled). You say that you can get both feet on the ground so that should be very confidence boosting too. It really had to be revved to get any power so it was very easy to ride gently and controllably and is unlikely to catch people out on damp surfaces etc. It had a lovely wail too when revved.
 My only concern for you would be its performance when restricted - even when not restricted it is very gutless (needs revving to make it move although that was the fun). If you are happy with its performance when restricted then go for it. They are lovely bikes and I would love one now (I need a bike with a fairing to keep the cold off and dislike 4000 mile service intervals because of the cost).
Advice wise (In no particular order):
To avoid drops etc always plan low speed stops and make sure its not on gravel! If it is slow gently and on your rear brake but try and avoid...
Also if the ground is just damp (not drenched but damp) be especially careful. This is when the road is most slippy with oil, diesel or rubber making the road slippery even to walk on.
If you see an oily scum on the road beware! It will be slippery.
When coming to a stop if you are short in the leg think about which foot to put down and where its going to go. Sometimes its easier to put down the right one if the camber in the road is severe. Also I sometimes do this for right hand turns...
Lastly when parking try and park your bike so you have to push it backwards downhill (you can use the engine to push it up).
Enjoy your biking.
Andy.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices