Skip to content

Discuss This Indy MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles again MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Indy MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Indy MotoGP: Valentino Rossi struggles again

Valentino Rossi’s tough debut campaign with Ducati’s factory MotoGP squad continued at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway yesterday. With only one podium finish in the opening 11 races, hopes Rossi could build on an encouraging sixth place in Brno earlier this month quickly evaporated in a frustrating 28-lap race. Beset by more front-end grip issues with his GP11.1 Desmosedici bike, Rossi was struggling...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 August 2011 14:32)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Doubt it

Nostro...you really believe Spies could handle the Ducati when all others including Rossi have failed.
As good as he is I somehow think he would end up struggling.
Personally I reckon Simoncelli would have more chance!

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Ducati Need To......

give it up, this carbon fibre and engine mounted stress member partnership aint working. Laughng stock to be honest i reckon.

Ducati should stick with what they know.

Reply to this Topic
Technique

Jul 11

Technique says:

Leemuz

Ahaha, hats off mate! You showed them Stoner-Ladies whats good.

Reply to this Topic
LaughingGas

Oct 08

LaughingGas says:

I'd love to know what Ducati are concentrating on because nothing is working and working on this bike and GP12 has already been publicly flawed.

If Rossi does continue his career after 2012, I wonder if he'll jump ship. He can't finish his career at the bottom of the grid.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Leemuz

Me old yellow bellied cornish pasty. Have you not noticed? We are in the post Rossi era, and how refreshing it is.

You taking some form of moral high ground is like the bloke in Rome with the silly hat telling his acolytes not to fiddle with little boys. Major hypocrisy after the years of baseless abuse you fired Stoners way on this forum.

2011 has been most enlightening, showing us all just which rider has the true talents in both riding and set-up - and it sure as hell ain't the arse pincher. The young guns have moved the goal posts forward leaving Rossi gasping. It's plain for all to see his doctorate is founded in nothing more than spin.

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

It's doing Rossi, his fans and MotoGP a lot of good

* Rossi is having to put the trackside antics to one side and show some humility for once. He is learning what life is like for the riders who puddle around mid-pack or worse on inadequate bikes (not that it was particularly inadequate in the hands of Casey Stoner).

* His fans are having a forced holiday from their manic number 46 banner-waving and getting their eyes opened to the talent and potential of others on the grid. At last they're made to realise Rossi is not God.

* It's good ultimately for MotoGP as a sport. Maybe it's not commercially great in the short term, but MotoGP needs to detach itself from Rossi as the cash cow. At least he's still in the sport, rather than having left suddenly. Hopefully his decline and the fall-off in interest towards him will be matched by the rise of other talents and personalities to bring in the numbers.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Arnold22...

"Had Rossi not crashed early in the Indy QP, he could have been on the second row of the grid."

...or, conversely, had Barbera not crashed on the last corner & Hayden not gone for the wrong tyre Rossi would have finished 12th with his team mate probably 6 or 7 places in front of him. Ifs & buts. He was a genuine 10th & you can't take that away from him... talking him up from that & everyone else down looks desperate.

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Very lucky.

To even finish 10th thanks to a crash in front of him even RDP finished ahead of both works Ducati machines second getting its tire choice wrong.

Reply to this Topic
OnlyOneRossi

Jul 11

OnlyOneRossi says:

Bultoboy

I'm not saying i have it completely right, just kicking ideas around here, but from what i understand the frames that everyone will use next year are similar in size to this years as all the bikes look the same as they do now, so testing it now can help for next year in terms of finding any way to get it to work. So it seems like they will spend the rest of the year trying new things, (like new stuff for the front or a change in design of the front subframe) with the CF before trying a new approach. The improved front feeling, seemed to be put down to the 1000 engine and riding in a different way compared to a 800. I think they said you could load the front better, and also the fact you dont use as much corner speed. Apparently the way Stoner carries speed through a corner is different to how most or all the other guys ride. 

For a while i also wondered if going to the GP11.1 was the right idea, but the team said the main things were fixing the pumping, and also the way the bike responded to setup changes, it becoming more predictable in how it reacted to changes. However that doesnt seem to be the case again recently. But this weekend might just be an exception because of the new surface and the way the tyres worked for different teams. Im not sure if Misano will suit the bike any better. 

Also on some interviews on other sites Rossi says when he pushed the bike more he was losing the front. You cant just push the bike right out of the box, you need to have the right setup first. In FP3 Rossi did a 1min40.6 or something and he never got back to that after he crashed in qualifying. Like you said loss of confidence from not understanding why it happend.  

What i cant understand is, the closest Rossi has been to Stoners fastest lap in a race on a good day is 0.6 and that seems to be their limit of a good setup and him having confidence to push the bike. Going past that then would see him crash, so I dont see where they can find that time purely on setup. More parts will be needed to help with the front end sticking. Being more physical on the bike clearly doesn't help, as RDP has been nowhere this year and we saw him challenge Lorenzo for pole a few times last year so he is capable on a one off lap. Simoncelli neither as i believe its more of a front end feeling thing, so how can you push the bike and find the limit if you cant feel where it is.

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

In Subversion geek-speak:

Whoever's clicking "Get latest.." all the time really needs to click "Revert files"

Ducati's simply got a bike that ONE person can ride. That one person has left...

I'm all up for evolution and progression, but you need something to progress with! If-and's-but's and maybe's mean nothing during race day, cos anyone can fall or run off track. Stop using excuses!

Ducati - swallow some pride and roll back to a trellis frame. It baffles me at how they even consider an "engine-frame" given heat expansion can change the bike's rake by 2 or 3mm.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices