You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > deceleration

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

deceleration

I've read that you shouldn't decelerate using the gears but always with the breaks. I was just wondering why so?

I obviously don't mean doing 100 mph and suddenly chucking it in 1st, but what sort of problem does a gradual changing down cause?

I've always slowed down using the gears and I've never had a problem.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 August 2011 14:10)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Slowing

I am not sure where you read that but I have not seen any similar comment. 

It is perfectly acceptable to slow the machine using the gears.  In fact, if you look at a really slick rider, like some of the Police and advanced boys, it is amzing how little they use the brakes.  A lot of the time they are controlling the speed of the machine by being in the right gear at the right time and using throttle / engine braking to speed up and slow down.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

Slowing down

Yea, don't know where you read that dude :)

Reply to this Topic
kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

Slowing

Well it seemed strange to me as well as I pretty much always use my gears to slow down.

I ask because someone pointed it out in Motorcycle Roadcraft and since then I've heard it from some other " advanced" riders. So I though I'd see what people on here had to say.

Any ideas why someone would say it in the first place? There must be some sort of logic...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Very odd

Always been taught to use gears to slow down, whether it's car or bike. Never heard of anyone saying just use the brakes.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Surely you need to change down?

If you're in the right gear, then you're in control of the bike for what ever lies ahead,traffic lights,roundabout or a bend?.

The only time i don't use gears is in an emergency,but my left hand and foot still kinda want to move!.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Extreme

example, but makes sense.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rOax2ftgbNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Use Gears

I once followed a police motorcycle training officer for miles on our way out of a city centre...  I was waiting for us both to stop, so I could let him know that his brake light didn't work...  then he finally used it! Doh! 

I learned a lot on that day out with him :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Using gears

Don't confuse slowing down with stopping. I see a lot of new riders using the gears to slow down and then ending up in the wrong gear when they stop. If you know that you are going to stop then throttle closed, brakes on, clutch in and block change down to 1st just as you come to a halt. If you are reducing speed but expecting to accelerate again then select the appropriate gear to allow for useful speed. Remember the "police system" Information-Position-Speed-GEAR-Accelerate

Reply to this Topic
kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

Slowing down stopping

Tc330,

How can you be in the wrong gear if you use them to slow down? You'll be in 1st just before stopping.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

No brakes at all

or late braking can be dangerous, as anyone following will need to know when you've started to slow, hence the brake light!.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle