You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > maybe not lack of grip

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

clockhouse

Jul 11

clockhouse says:

maybe not lack of grip

can any one help with a problem i have. just recently , ive been having the feeling that the front wheel / tyre are slipping from under me. mainly on roundabouts and tight bends. i have put it down to my tyres not having enough grip.please look at  topic tyres, under lack of grip. i spoke to an instructor who explained to me- counter steering. I went and tried out the counter steer. it felt like the front tyre had so much grip on tar mac. i do feel a bit of a lemon.not having tried this action before. even my lines through the bends are a lot better, very much so. do i have to put much effort into  push pull, or just slight of eye changes. and  is counter steering used on tracks. i'm still getting used to it, but what i've gained from it ,is so much better. any tips please would be great. thank you.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 August 2011 21:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Get training

You don't say what type of license you have, but things like counter steer are pretty necessary to be fair. Spend a few quid and have a qualified instructor teach you the ins and outs of it. You can learn it just by practising lots and learning limits, but you don't sound that confident and professional advice would be more use to you than varied opinions on this board. Good luck with it and keep safe.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I taught a friend

to countersteer my old mountain bike.  She's safe on the road now, no more target fixation, running wide, colliding with orther riders or verges, or toppling off just because it "won't" go the way she wants.  Lesson learned quickly by hurling around on grass, deliberately exploring the effect to the limit, but battered bar-ends, torn seat and scraped levers bore testimony to the learning process.

A motorbike demands a little more respect.  Take it steady, build gradually, and as above, get tuition.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Clockhouse

Yes counter steering is used on tracks.

We all countersteer but subconsiously, we don't notice that we are doing it.

You have to countersteer (turn bars in opposite direction) to intiate a turn or cause the bike to lean.

Positive steering is a consious effort to turn the bike such as push right go right. Imagine a rider with one arm, all steering inputs would be to push and pull on the one handlebar grip.

Think of it as leverage (to lean the bike into a corner) you apply pressure, the bike leans into the turn, apply pressure to the outside bar and the bike will straighten up.

My advice to anyone learning countersteering is to have an instructor give you proper coaching, if not do it gradually start by applying very slight pressure to get used to how the bike responds on a long straight road without traffic. (do a gradual weave from left to right etc before attempting using it at bends).

Hope this helps.:smile

Reply to this Topic
clockhouse

Jul 11

clockhouse says:

will get training.

hello charlie sylo. yes i did a restricted 33 bhp license, but now gone to full license after  a certern  time limit. and im of to spend some time and money with a instructor. its all  very well haveing a go with one s self on this matter. im going to nip this one in the bud with good training and practice. thanks to all you chaps out there regarding this matter. its good to talk.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices