You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Which big naked

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

slower

Mar 10

slower says:

Which big naked

OK so I'm now here with one of these tedious which bike questions.

My CB500 was ideal for me when I started riding again after a long break but I now feel I could do with a bit more grunt.

I'm drawn to bikes like the Suzuki GSX1400 and Honda CB1300.

Are there any owners of these bikes here who could pass on their experiences, good or bad ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 August 2011 13:52)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Big Naked

No, but I can tell you that my 2005 FZS1000 Fazer is absolutely brilliant.  Try one!

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Slower

The CB1300, GSX1400 and XJR1300 are all great looking bikes and the Yamaha is still in production.

Don't rule out one of these though, I covered a few thousand miles with this beauty :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Big naked

I would go for the GSX 1400 !!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

grunt

If you don`t like changing gear (20mph+ top gear) go for the high rev ving cbf1000,(just sold mine) next up is Marcus/mine Fazer 1000 (30mph+top gear).The xjr 1300 (middle rev ving) i kept scraping them pegs (felt at ease) but the chain stretched (Have more play than handbook).Gsx 1400 (on my second) lower rev ving at 70mph,only faults the key is too long and bends:shock: also the lacquer on the forks lower legs cracks up.:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Don't

get one of these they are rubbish in the corners to the point you have to get off and push them round, there is no chain to stretch so you have to find things to do with your spare time, they are tractable in top gear from 20 mph so you become weak in the left ankle through lack of use, the engine is low in the frame causing a low C of  G so they are to easy  to  manoeuvre in traffic and who wants that. 

Reply to this Topic
littledaddy

Nov 02

littledaddy says:

BANDIT!!!!

I'd looked at the bikes you mentioned (and ridden a few too)..but in the end I bought a low-mileage 1200 bandit..the original naked muscle bike..1998 import - its awesome!!  (i've had a few big bikes so - including an '03 Fireblade - so i do have some idea about what goes and what doesn't)

it's mint..and there's loads of cheap parts and plenty of advice about tuning and mods....

..and they're pretty cheap - even the later 1250's..

Just a suggestion...:wink:

Reply to this Topic
londonbill

Apr 10

londonbill says:

Sorry

But the Bandit is far from being the "original" naked musclebike.

To find those, you have to go back much further.
Back to the 80's in fact.
There you'll find the Bandits early ancestors in the form of the Yamaha XS1100, Suzuki GSX1100, Honda CB900/1100 and of course, the ultimate hooligan, the Kawasaki Z900.
It is these bikes that the Bandit, and in fact all of the current naked retro's are intended to re-kindle.
The Bandit is a copy of the original.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
littledaddy

Nov 02

littledaddy says:

..obviously!!

Don't be sorry...i'm as happy as pig in sh*t!!!:biggrin:

Although i was really comparing it to the modern nakeds when i said "original" ..alloy swingarm, twin front discs, alloy wheels wearing fat rubber

Now you've burst my Bandit bubble - and i no longer own an "orginal" muscle bike, i promise i will never refer to it as one again..ever - but it is a bloody good copy of an orginal!!? And it is decent bike..even against the more modern nakeds - i've ridden a CB1300 and an '08 1050 Speed Trip..and very good they were (in different ways) but not really worth the £2-3K over the Bandit..IMHO...

Reply to this Topic
Mickly

Dec 02

Mickly says:

No they were not

Those bikes (Yamaha XS1100, Suzuki GSX1100, Honda CB900/1100) were the sports bikes of their time, they were never designed as, or regarded as naked muscle bikes at the time!!:tongue:

The 1200 Bandit started in 1991, the VMax however came about in 1985 so I reckon the VMax is the "Daddy":sunglasses:

Mickly

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Mickly

I'm with you on that one, and it is the V Max that all others have tried to copy, take a look at the new V max and compare it to the Ducati Diawhatsitcalled, how many styling bits have been borrowed.

Having said that I would not want the new V Max happy with the earlier model, has more character IMO. 

As with all things biking it is a matter of personal choice so if you like the look of it then get it and ride it, if it ain't what you want then sell it and get something else.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle