You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Hastings 'customer service'

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

whitewash

Aug 11

whitewash says:

Hastings 'customer service'

This would appear to be non existent, Phoned to cancel my insurance policy with 3 months left to be told it would cost me £55. Said that i would not bother cancelling it only to be told that it was to late and that I had already told them:mad:. Is this right? Asked to speak to customer relations and was told you have to e-mail them with your complaint and could not speak to anybody. Wasn't expecting a refund, but certainly not expecting £55 bill.....Awaiting reply!!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 August 2011 18:10)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Hastings

Hasings are a broker, not an underwriter.  Therefore they work for you and should offer you approriate and professional advice.  At the point you informed them you were considering cancelling your policy they should have advised you that this would be more costly than letting it run to its expiry.  That way you could have made an informed choice on whether to cancel your policy or not.  If they have not done that then they have failed to properly advise you and you should raise a complaint - initially with them and subsequently with the ombudsman service if necessary. 

The truth of the matter is, this is probably not a charge that is down to the underwriter (insurance company) but an admin charge levied by Hastings.  Something I would consider unfair and inappropriate.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hackey

Mar 11

Hackey says:

MM

Marcus Marsh , job at MCN Mate?? , every post I see theres MM to the rescue ;)

Top bloke mate 

Reply to this Topic
whitewash

Aug 11

whitewash says:

hastings

Marcus, thanks for the info, i was only informing them because i thought i had to. I was not expecting any premiums to be returned just straight forward cancellation of my policy. The policy only cost £120 for the year and they want to charge half that for pressing 'delete' on the keyboard. I would happily of let it run but i was told i couldnt because i had sold the bike

Reply to this Topic
pinheadplanet

Apr 10

HaSTINGs

:lol::lol::lol:

Hilarious I just had the same as I got a quote for a new bike today

Me: "How much will I get back if I cancel my policy now, I still have 8 months left to run"
Hastings: "It will cost you £16 Sir"
Me: "Err What???"
Hastings: "Yes there's a £55 charge to cancel your policy"
Me: "So I would have to pay to cancel my policy/"
Hastings: "Yes Sir"

So - As Hastings want to charge me £35 admin fee to change my policy I might as well just go somewhere else and pay for the full year and not get charged with the £35 admin fee coz pro rata it work out the same!

I'd already vowed not to use Hastings again as they screwed me over with an Auto renew on my policy last time. As my policy expired I took out a new policy but they auto renewed my policy as well and then charged me £25 to cancel it.

Tossbags!

I hope you get your money back mate. And it seems like Hastings have lost another customer, shame coz they've always been the cheapest.

Bennetts here we come.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices