You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Bikes for girls

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Redfraggle

Aug 11

Redfraggle says:

Bikes for girls

I have a yzf-r125 but it probably wasn't the best purchase ever as it's not that comfortable for me.  I want to upgrade it but can't really seem to find anything!

I'm 5ft 5, weigh 9 stone and just about manage to push the Yam in and out of the garage - but only just.  I have a restricted licence and have been looking at a bigger bike with a restrictor.

So far:

BMW g650gs - can manage to get it upright but not on a slight slope

BMW F650 - can't get the bike upright off the side stand :upset:

Kawasaki En-6r - feel like I am going to drop the bike when I push it.

Yamaha xj6 - boring

Ducati Monster - a bit too bulky

I love the yamaha MT-03 but have severe reservations as it's a single cylinder and the dealers have 2009 models still hanging around that they haven't sold and are still selling on new plates.  Otherwise I love everything about the bike including the ride position.

I feel that if I get a bike that's too big for me I won't gain any confidence.

Any advice appreciated! :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 August 2011 21:07)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bikes for girls

Two that spring to mind are the CB500 - fairly low and easy to handle.  Or, how about the new CBR250R.  It's a smashing bike, light, low and agile.  Perfect! 

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
Bramley Bim

Dec 07

Bramley Bim says:

Hi Redfraggle

I had the same problem as you - I too am 5-5, and 8 1/2 stone so no strength to lift or push heavy bikes.  Hence why I passed on a restricted licence. Time served on RS 125. 

My first 600 was a Kwaka ZX6 but on a P plate so quite heavy compared to newer bikes but nice & low.  However, after nearly coming grief on  an unfamiliar road, (uphill, round a bend and hey ho there's a junction and nice big camber - I think I only managed not to drop the bike through sheer will power!) as it then spoiled the rest of the day as my confidence was shot Mr B decreed I neeed to look at getting a newer & ighter bike. 

Problem for me is also still the height - I've ridden Mr B's R6 and its great...until I need to stop as I feel its just too high and I have to hold it on one leg or tiptoes.

So I was very tempted by a new Kwak but after a quick sit on concluded it was still that smidge too high.  Luckily the dealer was also Suzuki so I went straight over to sit on the new Gixxer 600 - and that ticked all the boxes - exactly the right height, a suitable weight...and on 0% finance!

If you can get a deal on the new model I can thoroughly recommend the GIxxer. :biggrin:

The only other thing I would say is do you need to push the bike out of the garage or can you sit on it and "paddle" it in & out?  I always find I'm more confident if I move the bike when I'm on it as opposed to pushing - apparently its because I tend to lean it into me rather than keeping it upright. :huh:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

bikes with low seats

Bikes with low or reduced seats have been discussed a few times but here are a few more also worthy of consideration:

Bmw F800st/s- you can get these with restrictors and the seat height reduced by both suspension and low seat. Good bikes and very economical if you have throttle control... 
honda cbf600 - can have its seat adjusted is fairly small and can be easily restricted.
Kawasaki zx250 ninja. is already restricted and is smaller than an er6f. Just watch the insurance...
Honda Cbr250 is fairly small, quite cheap, restricted and has 8000 mile service intervals. 

Reply to this Topic
ZACKYZFR

Sep 11

ZACKYZFR says:

suspension ?

you could always take it to a yamaha dealer and ask them to lower it for you it doesnt cost a penny and lets face it the bike is lighter then alot of others out there 126 kg isnt hard if you get it lowerd you would find it alot easier i have a yzfr 125 myself and im 6ft n 14st obv il find it alot easier but a friend of mine has the same bike and had the same problem and she got it lowerd and if its the simple fact of having abit more power why not upgrade with a 180 malossi kit costs about £500 in total and vids and info give you a top end of over 100mph which isnt bad either.

Reply to this Topic
gxrgirl37

Sep 11

gxrgirl37 says:

try a gxr600 :)

Hi,
I learnt on a zx6r which was loads of fun  and I'd have one again in a shot, but I agree is a bit heavy - Ive now got a gsxr 600 K1 which is a much smoother ride... I still find it a tad heavy and you seem to lean over the tank more, but it is neater than the zx6r... try one out if you can and see what you think. If you still like the  zxr, I'd see if you can get the back lowered :smile

Reply to this Topic
Redfraggle

Aug 11

Redfraggle says:

Bikes for girls

Thanks for your advice.

In the end I went back to the XJ6 after seeing the naked one with the radiator guard on it. It looked cool, and I figured I could add some more stuff to it to make it a bit more exciting in the future.

I figured that maybe I was just being too much of a 'girl' and would probably be ok with the weight of the bike.  Besides, the yzf has been really reliable and I trust the brand so it was hard to buy something else!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices