Skip to content

Discuss This Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Filling up with fuel with your helmet on can cause you to pass out, the supermarket Morrisons told a biker. Petrol fumes collect inside the helmet and become trapped, causing sickness and eventual loss of consciousness, the retailer said. The bizarre claims were made to a motorcyclist who tried to refuel his Harley-Davidson FXR at a Morrisons petrol station in an...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 September 2011 11:34)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kitspartan

Jul 11

kitspartan says:

Helmets

I never buy supermarket petrol any more, because I cannot be sure of it's quality or it's source. I was recently in contact with Shell's tech support to ask what pump "petrol" actually contained chemically as I was concerned about the ethanol content which if too high will destroy pretty much any motorcycle engine! All pump petrol in the UK has 5%, this is mandatory, not something the oil companies specified. It's for "green" reasons and OK ish at that level but I'm not happy that it wasn't made public knowledge. Less power and lower MPG, not much at this level but not good. I didn't actually get the chemical formula from them, fair enough it's probably something they wish to keep to themselves. The most poisonous compound was Benzene, that's why they put those silly rubber things on the pump nozzles to try and stop the fumes coming back up as you fill up, I don't know whether benzene is still in there. I think I'm more likely to pass out at the price of petrol than it's fumes! I know that Total petrol burns well in air, I live very close to the Buncefield fuel depot that exploded spectacularly..."can anyone smell petrol?" "let me turn on the lights and see" BOOM.

Reply to this Topic
kitspartan

Jul 11

kitspartan says:

Helmets

I never buy supermarket petrol any more, because I cannot be sure of it's quality or it's source. I was recently in contact with Shell's tech support to ask what pump "petrol" actually contained chemically as I was concerned about the ethanol content which if too high will destroy pretty much any motorcycle engine! All pump petrol in the UK has 5%, this is mandatory, not something the oil companies specified. It's for "green" reasons and OK ish at that level but I'm not happy that it wasn't made public knowledge. Less power and lower MPG, not much at this level but not good. I didn't actually get the chemical formula from them, fair enough it's probably something they wish to keep to themselves. The most poisonous compound was Benzene, that's why they put those silly rubber things on the pump nozzles to try and stop the fumes coming back up as you fill up, I don't know whether benzene is still in there. I think I'm more likely to pass out at the price of petrol than it's fumes! I know that Total petrol burns well in air, I live very close to the Buncefield fuel depot that exploded spectacularly..."can anyone smell petrol?" "let me turn on the lights and see" BOOM.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I try to avoid Morrison"s for petrol , the staff must be trained to treat customers like 5 year old"s and are usually  "doll"s heads " if asked a question . Go to independant garages , they may charge a little more but the fuel is cleaner & better and you usually don"t have to wait behind a long line of cars . I go to a couple of garages in the town centre , and have NEVER been asked to remove my helmet , and the staff , smile & and chat  .

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

grey little men

I've never yet been asked to remove my lid when buying juice but if I were I would simply withdraw my custom from the offending idiot garage chain and that would also include my car and my working van. There is an incredibly pompous, judgemental attitude to anyone who rides a bike or even a scooter in this country that you just don't meet anywhere in Europe. I love this country to my bones but some of the lame brained, bourgeois, grey little men that we seem to produce in numbers are a profound drag on our country's well being and prosperity.

Reply to this Topic
simber9

Feb 08

simber9 says:

Mentioned previously

I remember I brought up this subject on one of the forums and asked what about Muslims with their burka's? Not a lot of people agreed with me. Not plonker from London in particular was so stupid he even went on the racist agenda. I said that I no longer bought petrol from Morrison's and that we should all boycott Morrison's not just in petrol but in every way possible but nobody agreed. If everyone did we would all be a lot better off and wouldn't have to put up with all the crap that is dished out to us.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

The incident at Morrisons where I was challenged to remove my helmet I was trying to use the pay-at-pump facility & they wouldn't let me... we no longer shop there & our 2 vehicles that do 40,000 miles a year are no longer fuelled at Morrisons... there are lots of alternatives... people who value our custom.

Reply to this Topic
Mutley1000

Sep 11

Mutley1000 says:

Morrisons are Morons

This happened to me and my son in Leyland,Lancashire. If your old enough to be riding a bike,then there reason of checking your age is absolute rubbish. I shall never use them again....

Reply to this Topic
kirker

Apr 11

kirker says:

morrisons / helmets

the shell station at altens in aberdeen ( the one beside burger king ) has the same ruling. i went in one day on the bike and the pump wasn't turned on until i took my helmet off. went in to pay and the stroppy cow had the cheek to call me pal.  this was a white woman so i'm not being racist as those of you who use this station will know it is usually manned? by nice asian women.   they now have a notice up on the pumps to remove helmets. i now go elsewhere for my fuel  ( £100) approx per month there.

Reply to this Topic
sambod

Jul 04

sambod says:

If any petrol station asks you to remove your helmet just say sorry but no it's against my religion, They won't wanna get involved in a debate and you'll ride off fuelled up.

Its worked for me before and the look on the girls face was priceless lol

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

I remember I used to go Morrissons with Lid on all the time, Then one day over the Tanoy thing, I was asked to remove my lid.

Anyway Next time you visit Morrissons look out for the sign.

Where its shows, 'no smoking' 'no mobiles etc' it now says 'no helmets'

Never seen any other brand filling station with this sign, so i dont take my lid off anywhere else.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices