Skip to content

Discuss This Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes' General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Morrisons: 'Helmets trap petrol fumes'

Filling up with fuel with your helmet on can cause you to pass out, the supermarket Morrisons told a biker. Petrol fumes collect inside the helmet and become trapped, causing sickness and eventual loss of consciousness, the retailer said. The bizarre claims were made to a motorcyclist who tried to refuel his Harley-Davidson FXR at a Morrisons petrol station in an...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 September 2011 11:34)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

CBRGaz...

"it takes 10 seconds to take your helmet off and makes the whole process a lot easier - just suck it up and chill out a bit"

Yep, in summer it does (though your earplugs will probably pop out onto the diesel soaked forecourt), but in winter with a balaclava tucked deep into my jacket (all of which would need removing to ascertain my age) it would be a major PITA & has made me boycott Morrisons who are bizarrely the only company to announce a blanket rule like this... full credit to Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury's, ESSO, Shell & many others for not following suit... an ill thought out rule probably decided in a meeting where no-one  present rode a motorcycle... & why should they care about our custom?

Interestingly I had an email conversation with the person who implemented this rule last year... I asked if he'd pay for my £500 helmet if it was damaged (considering they don't give you anywhere to put it) or stolen... he declined to answer this & many of my other concerns.

Email Petrol Director Mark Todd (PM me for address) if you wish to voice your opinion.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Jiggy929

Sep 11

Jiggy929 says:

Just a thought..........how do you varify the age of a young female wearing a burka??

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Forecourt.

Flip-front helmets conceal your hair so they're still not really allowing positive facial recognition on a grainy CCTV image. I don't usually mind removing my helmet as it's a courtesy, although in bad weather I'd sometimes prefer to keep it on and the heat in.

I chose to fill up at Sainsbury's recently because they have 'Pay at Pump', so I left my helmet on, pre-paid and got 5p worth in before the pump stopped. I waited but nothing happened so I went into the kiosk and the attendant said for safety reasons I'd have to dismount to fill up. He didn't know what those reasons were though. I didn't kick up a fuss but two minutes later another rider did. I felt sorry for the attendant. Unexplained edict from the management, poor devil!

Several forecourts round my way insist on the dismount. I find it more awkward than filling up astride the bike. One place told me it is because someone lost his footing whilst astride his bike and toppled over, swilling petrol everywhere. Another told me it was because I might fill up and then ride off without paying, although on that occasion I had already taken my helmet off so I pointed out a fast get-away was unlikely. They'd have had my face and bike reg on camera too. In this MCN article even Customer Relations didn't understand the reasoning.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Good ole USA !!!

In the winter and rain, it takes me a while to cinch up my high collar on the jacket, shove in my earplugs, put on helmet,  tuck the collar under the neck roll and put my gloves back on.  Easily a 5 minute job.

We pay at the pump everywhere and a lot of times using RFID.  No interaction with humans whatsoever.  No removing helmets.  True "gas and go."

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Good Old Spain

When on the bike, I sit astride it and the chappie fills it up for me, while we have a chat.  I pay him when he's done.

When in the car, I hand my keys to him and sit in the car until he's finished.  He gives me the keys back when I pay.

Service with a smile - always

(I bet they don't smile in Morrisons, even if you DO take you lid off.)

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

Hahahaha if you are met with stupid statements like these fill your bike up with fuel elsewhere,fill your car up elsewhere and the one that's gonna make a difference, do your shopping somewhere else.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Helmets

The arguement of 'dismount as you may fill up & ride off without pay' doesn't hold water.

How many times do you see a driver sitting in their car while a passenger fills up?

Should they be made to get out of their car?

Are they ready for a fast 'drive off'?

Most fuel stations have CCTV. In the time it takes to fill up they'll have you on camera, albeit with a helmet on, but 'drive offs' normally get caught by recording the reg. rather than the face of the driver (unless they are well known to the police).

At many supermarkets that also sell fuel you have to drive forward to the kiosk to pay.

From the Children's Legal Centre Website.

Petrol stations- the Home Office has recommended that no one under the age of 16 should be permitted to serve petrol, however, this is a recommendation and therefore not legally enforceable

yet Trading Standards website quote.

Petrol
It is illegal to supply petrol to anyone under 16.

I have filled up twice, once on & once off the bike. I must admit it seemed easier on the bike.

I open the visor when filling up (stops it misting up) so fumes won't get trapped even if they weren't heavier than air as has already been mentioned.

If the garage/supermarket won't serve you fuel point out that you are willing to remove your helmet providing the sign says ALL head/face covering items (including burkas, hoodies etc.) and that the policy is ALWAYS enforced by ALL of that companies businesses. Until then it's discrimination (biking IS a religion to some :smile)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bulld01

Aug 09

bulld01 says:

Morrisson

This must be a new rule, filled up 2 wks or so agio in a morrisons, sat astride bike, pay at pump, no issues,my mate filled up went in paid never took lid off.  last i checked you could not ride a bike unless 16 yrs old ( legally anyway) and not many shits ride round in full gear and fill up in legit petrol stations, alaso can usually tell the idiots anyway as wearing shorts, trainers and tee shirts or kappa suits on little turbo charged hair dryers...  morrisons will not get my custom if this is the case across the country, like so many have alredy said, they will not ask for a burkha to be removed, ooh no, too much risk of alienating a large section of the community, oh yeah lots of bikes out there as wel though..............

Reply to this Topic
redzedrider

Sep 11

redzedrider says:

Odd

So even if wearing an open face helmet, you could be plnning to rob the garage?

Strange how every security guard that either collects or delivers cash to a supermarket, bank etc all wear helmets, yet they are never considered a threat.

I usually fill up at ASDA or Tesco where they operate a pay-at-the pump system. If I was requested by a forecourt assistant (now thers an oxymoron) to remove my helmet, I would, but it would take me foreever toput it back on gain and free up their pump

Reply to this Topic
kitspartan

Jul 11

kitspartan says:

Helmets

I never buy supermarket petrol any more, because I cannot be sure of it's quality or it's source. I was recently in contact with Shell's tech support to ask what pump "petrol" actually contained chemically as I was concerned about the ethanol content which if too high will destroy pretty much any motorcycle engine! All pump petrol in the UK has 5%, this is mandatory, not something the oil companies specified. It's for "green" reasons and OK ish at that level but I'm not happy that it wasn't made public knowledge. Less power and lower MPG, not much at this level but not good. I didn't actually get the chemical formula from them, fair enough it's probably something they wish to keep to themselves. The most poisonous compound was Benzene, that's why they put those silly rubber things on the pump nozzles to try and stop the fumes coming back up as you fill up, I don't know whether benzene is still in there. I think I'm more likely to pass out at the price of petrol than it's fumes! I know that Total petrol burns well in air, I live very close to the Buncefield fuel depot that exploded spectacularly..."can anyone smell petrol?" "let me turn on the lights and see" BOOM.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices