Skip to content

Discuss This Lambretta returns! But it's made in Taiwan New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Lambretta returns! But it's made in Taiwan

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Trevor Franklin  says:

Lambretta returns! But it's made in Taiwan

The new LN125 is the first scooter 'branded' Lambretta for decades. But while the name is synonymous with Italian style - and the new scoot is styled by an Italian - it's based on a Taiwanese-made Sym four-stroke. So while the LN125's silhouette harks back to the iconic two-stroke workhorse of the '60s and '70s, any similarity ends there. And what...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (02 September 2011 11:56)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Er,

Could the same not be said of: Triumph, Norton, Indian, or even MV Agusta? Branding is, by nature faux. A brand becomes known by its products, its reputation secured by results. A name is just a name until it has an association. And on that basis I don't really see the difference between this Lambretta and the old? It's only in the modern world that we have come to regard the name as important - well, more important than the product.BTW old Lambrettas were shit, nastily built and with dubious reliability. That they survived that to become icons is really only testimony to just how shit everything else was at the time... ;)

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Symbretta

You can get two Sym Fiddles and change for the price of an LN125.

So will it sell?

Probably, there's always a bunch of pseuds and poseurs who will buy stuff purely because it's expensive and has a flashy badge.

Anyone with half a brain will buy the new Honda Vision instead.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

at last

a reliable lambretta........who would have thought we would have seen the day:wink::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
bumbletrumpet

Jun 04

Well said, Snave. It's not meant to replicate the old models. They don't make them like that anymore for several good reasons. I think this review was an unneccessarily negative one from a guy who obviously doesn't like scooters. I've ridden the LN125 and did not find the steering 'nervous' or 'wibbly' at all.

I also agree that the excellent SYM Fiddle is better value for money at £1600 O.T.R., especially as it comes with a 3 year warranty. Who in their right mind would pay £200 more for the Honda Vision 110 which a smaller engine, dull styling and a year's less warranty?

Good luck to Lambretta. It's just a shame that MCN don't support the comeback of the famous name in the same way that they have done for Triumph, Norton, MV Agusta etc. who all have nothing in common with their previous incarnations.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Coupla points...

Reasons for buying a Honda Vision would be it's more economical, it has larger diameter wheels and it's a Honda.

Both have the same power output and the Vision is lighter.

Styling is just personal preference, neither is better than the other.

Myself I would choose the Fiddle, but that's because I like the styling, not because it's a better scooter.

Looks fabulous imo.

As for Triumph...

Triumph motorcycles have been in constant production since the company was founded, ownership has changed hands a few times but the bikes have always been in production.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

lambretta

i cant comment on new scooters as i havent tried one but i owned two lambrettas ,an li150 series 1 and a tv175 series 2,i had no issues of reliability with them apart from plug furring and that was due to the petroil mixture. they both came with spare wheels and were a treat to ride,side panels were easy to remove allowing full access to the engine,rear suspension and cables plus rear wheel if the need arrived.

Reply to this Topic
bumbletrumpet

Jun 04

response to rlf3 :

Larger wheels are not a reason to buy the Honda. I have been selling scooters for over 25 years and big wheeled scooters have always been difficult to sell. The vast majority of customers say they make the bike look old fashioned. How do you know the Honda is better on fuel when neither manufacturer states fuel economy figures? I wouldn't buy a bike just because it has a Honda badge on the tank. Have you seen a one year old CBF125 up close? Not a pretty sight. Very poor quality compared to other lesser known brands such as SYM and SINNIS.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
all2wheelers

Nov 11

all2wheelers says:

LN125

Its a real shame that this model has recieved these negative remarks. Lets just remember that  firstly the last 'innocenti' Lambretta rolled of the production line Late 71 early 72. Since then they have been copied by the Indians and the spannish. Both do not match the quality the Italians produced. The purists will verify this. This is a brand NEW model, ie it had to adhere to tough regulations set for safety regulations etc. 

The Bike has been designed By an Italian, Alessandro  Tartarini (Italjet) the bodywork is Metal like the original Its background has more Italian input than any model produced post 72. The engine is a SYM  single cylinder four stroke,  which is a very well proven engine. Sym worked along side Honda during the 60's so has a very well proven background. This was probably fitted again to meet EC regulations etc.

We all love the old SX, LI etc but we are now in 2011 and with modern tecnoligy  and reliability this I'm sure is what 'innocent'   would've made. Things have to move on so embrace it. In two years time these will become collectible Like the Vespa T5 has proved. But at the time it was boo hooed! 

If you already have an opinion in your head before you test ride a bike then the review  is worthless. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki have some of there models made outside Japan. This is for cost! Like the new Lambretta. yes,  its assembled in Taiwan, This i'm sure is like the big players ...Cost!

It's a scooter not a Fireblade. So ride the bike like you would around town not on the track.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices