Ask an Expert Battery dead again Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Battery dead again

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

adrenalinrush

Aug 05

Battery dead again

I spent a week in deepest France then just about to get on the train coming back and the battery decided to die on me with no warning, dead as a doughnut! 

Bump started it off the train and only just got the bike home on a full tank .
Gets on ebay buys a new battery and fitted it and the new battery's been fine, untill today! went out last night not a problem what so ever  get on it this morning and not enough power to turn it over so had to bump it again went out for an hour turned the engine off and that was it, dead again!
The new battery was put on in mid July and the bikes an RR5 Fireblade.

So what do you think, unlucky and that the new battery was dodgy, or rectifier? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 September 2011 21:38)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

flat

Charge it up and take a voltage reading whilst charging probably about 13.5vdc,remove charger and check the voltage after a couple of hours,hopefully you have 12.8v+.:smile 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi mickh13

For V max spares and info talk to 'H' or Tracy at Exactrep both know their stuff and carry or can supply upgrades to charging system components at lower than manufacturers prices.

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

exactrep

good advice.good range of gear on there.i've already ordered a tourmax replacement rectifier,but exactrep sell a neat battery charge led gauge(kurykin make, i believe) that you can fit where ever on the bike.anyone got one fitted,or thoughts on this item?regards,mick

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

mickh13.

On-board battery status monitor:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=414608

(Edit 1: link repaired).
(Edit 2: link repaired?)
(Edit 3: oh ffs! Google "James600zx MCN on board battery status monitor". That works, bizarrely.)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

reg / rec

Sounds like the battery isn't being charged by the bike. Get it running, rev it, if the lights don't get brighter then chances are it's the reg / rec. But it's worth getting a £12 multimeter from machine mart and checking before shelling out on a replacement unit.

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

tourmax rectifier

i fitted my new rectifier to my vmax.the old one had fins and could only fit one way up in the mounting holes(behind the pillion footrest hanger).the new tourmax one has two flat sides and no fins.one side is shiny metal,and the other is a resin type substance.does it make a difference which side fits against the footrest hanger?is the footrest hanger used as a heatsink?the two mounting holes on the unit seem to suggest shiny metal side down.any thoughts lads?

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

pics please

makes it easier if we can see it !

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

rectifier pictures

hope this works!

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

rectifier pictures

success!the mounting holes are only half the thickness of the unit,and are flush with the shiny side,so i bolted it shiny side to the hanger.as an aside,yamaha put this in a stupid place for an item you wish to keep cool!1&1/2 inches above the silencer,and out of the airflow behind the engine.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tourmax reg/rec.

Is it one of the cooler-running MOSFET types rather than the traditional reg/rec perhaps?

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle