Skip to content

Ask an Expert 600 bandit 97 bike not responding to throttle after being in garage for ten years approx Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 600 bandit 97 bike not responding to throttle after being in garage for ten years approx

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vmcpakmcn

Sep 11

vmcpakmcn says:

600 bandit 97 bike not responding to throttle after being in garage for ten years approx

I have a 600 97 bandit that has been in my garage for ten years . It will start but does not respond to the throttle and dies. I understand that the carbs will need cleaned ,but what is the best way to do this and any other suggestions will be welcome to this problem.The bike has to be started on full choke and will only run on full choke.

vic.

vic

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 September 2011 10:19)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bandit

Welcome vic,your choke jets are clear but pilot/main jets sound blocked up due to standing,The carbs should be removed and the jets thoroughly cleaned out because you cannot afford to run on a weak mixture being an air/oil cooled engine.The tank may be rusty to and would benifit with a clean inside and a coating of ultra petseal.

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

carbs

Also worth giving the inlet rubbers a good check over, they seem to be prone to air leaks on the early Bandits

Reply to this Topic
vmcpakmcn

Sep 11

vmcpakmcn says:

bandit 600 problems

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

carbs could need re synching too??

Reply to this Topic
vmcpakmcn

Sep 11

vmcpakmcn says:

bandit 600 carbs

Do you have any advice on how to balance the carbs as i have never done this but i have an old style  morgan carb tune kit.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

If I am honest i don't know how to do it... there will be people on here however that do! There will also be videos on youtube no doubt...

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

carbs

Balance the carbs last, if they need doing. Get the bike running first (being out of balance shouldn't stop it running like you describe). It's most likely to be blocked jets, stale petrol and possibly fouled plugs if you've not changed 'em.

When the bikes running and warm enough to have the choke off if the rev couter flutters (hunts) at tickover then the carbs maybe out of balance.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices