Ask an Expert stopping power Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > stopping power

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nc30netherton

Feb 11

stopping power

Hi all, I have just purchased some HEL braided brake lines for my Hornet 600, wondering wether it would be worth paying for some better brake pads, not to happy with my current ones stopping power, I think they have faded a bit as the they dont stop me as well as the used to, they have only done a few thousand miles and have plenty left in them, any recommendations as to what pads I should look into?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 September 2011 11:37)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Brakes

Change the lines first and see what effect that has.  Maybe you won't need to upgrade the pads.  The problem with more agressive pads is that they can wear the discs quicker so you really don't want to change them unless it is really necessary.   

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

As

Marcus says if would be best to only change the lines which will require you replacing the brake fluid as well.

This being the case you will find the brakes a lot better at stopping and will give you better feel for what your brakes are doing.

Again as Marcus has said replace with manufacturers recommended pads as the discs will be worn at a higher rate, and with the cost of brake rotors it's something to avoid.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda 600 Hornet year?

Hi

Think i would be wondering why the braking power has dropped off myself ?especially if the brake pads are not wearing down.Think i would be de-glazing the pads,cleaning the discs,and servicing the calipers,before fitting braided lines,other wise you could be masking a problem instead of correcting one.

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
davi82a

Jul 11

davi82a says:

brakes

I would take the caliper apart and clean everything with brake cleaner. If this doesn't work, change the pads. It's well worth it, if it'll stop you in time.

Reply to this Topic
tomcat69

Apr 10

tomcat69 says:

fluid

Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it absorbs water.  this will affect braking especially as the brakes warm up  change the fluid first it would explain the deteriation

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices