You are in... Forums > General > General > I've got wind

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

YoungHomer

Dec 09

YoungHomer says:

I've got wind

There's not really a lot you can do about wind. It's not hot. It's not cold. But it could make you look like your pissed to others. You've got tinted visors and sunglasses for the sun, you can wear waterproofs for the rain, you've got summer clothing for the heat and winter clothing for the cold.

But, what can you do about wind? Today my met office iPhone app said the wind was about 30mph. At least having this information to hand enables me to plan for the future as I now know what wind I can drive in safely. Has anyone experienced their windy threshold? How much wind is simply too dangerous on two wheels?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 September 2011 20:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

young homer

Why not invest in some stabalisers ? :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I've got something thats good for wind

A kite.:laugh: sorry:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Windy.

It was pretty dodgy on the way to work this morning, particularly the first part on a narrow road on a hilltop with the wind gusting from my 9 o'clock position. Thereafter I was heading directly into the breeze but it was still a rough ride. It's the unpredictable gusts that can catch you out rather than the high winds. Leaning off, counter steering into the breeze and anticipating cross-winds from gaps in hedges, etc seems to be the key.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

wind

You can`t do anything about wind,your bike is designed for head on wind protection/aerodynamics but not side winds because it`s faired and has no holes to go through.Have you tried a naked bike?

Reply to this Topic
YoungHomer

Dec 09

YoungHomer says:

Thanks

James - excellent advice. I suppose having the required aforethought is the only answer. I was just interested if anyone knew of any specific wind speeds that would be too dangerous.

Jaffa - Couldn't do without the fairing on my R1200RT. It's designed to keep the head on wind off you. Electric screen pushes it above and around, fairing keeps it off the legs and mirrors keep it off the hands. Perhaps a naked bike would help with cross winds but I'd lose out on all the benefits of the fairing.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

hi homer

it doesnt matter how good a rider you think you are in winds like that today...........i worked an 11hr shift on a pan today and was bricking it all day, 30 zones were as scary as 70's, ..........bikes and high winds are a very bad combination:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bikes

Excuse me ally600

It`s faired bikes and high winds are a very bad combination.:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

jaffa

we had 50..60 mph gusts up here today mate, granted the few naked bikes i saw were not blasted about as much as me but they all wandered and chopped the throttle........a scary day for all bikers up here:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

U got wind?.......

So have I!!

I blame the chilli :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Reply to this Topic