Skip to content

Ask an Expert best path to a sport bike Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > best path to a sport bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

d675r

Jul 11

d675r says:

best path to a sport bike

just a quick question,im getting my first bike soon and due to money id really only like to have to buy 1 bike to learn to ride on before  i get a sportbike which ive allways wanted, id rather have a cb500 or similar to learn on for a year or 2 rather than a bigger sv650 or similar but im wandering if going from the 500 to a sportbike is to big a jump , ive heard lots of people saying you'll learn better and faster on a smaller bike so thats what id rather do so just looking for some opinions from people who have taken a similar path, thanks for any thoughts

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (07 September 2011 20:56)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Getting into bikes

Your skills will develop best on a bike that does not vastly exceed your abilities.  (Not that you would be able to insure such a machine easily anyway)  The CB500 is ideal - they are fast enough to be good fun, they are reliable and handle well.  Pick a good one and it won't cost you a fortune to run either.  When you are looking  beware of ex-training school bikes. 

It's the kind of bike that you can spend a couple of years on while building up some experience and NCB before deciding on your next step. 

Having said that the SV is not exactly an animal either and would still be a good bike to develop skills on. So would a 600 Bandit or Fazer although these bikes will be more expensive to run.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

HMMMM

Honda CB600F Hornet does it all,well built, handles, it's quick, lightish and easy to get along with.

Commute, Scratch, Weekends away, the worlds your oyster, go and enjoy.:smile

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

Any 500/600

Any 500 or 600 bike will do to start, I had a Bandit 600 after passing DAS and now also have a ZX6 (both old and cheap, I'm not minted!) I love the Bandit but it's a bloody heavy bike, the SV could be a good choice with it's slightly more sporty riding position. Good luck whichever way you go.

Reply to this Topic
d675r

Jul 11

d675r says:

:)

thanks guys , decisions decisions. think il try to test ride them

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Personally

I find my biggest jumps in bike control come whenever i get a better bike, its like being thrown in the deep end, you either sink or swim, a very sporty bike will show up all kinds of flaws in your riding as soon as you start trying to give it some, you either fix those problems or go slow.

However not a good thing to start learning on, since your riding in general will be a problem for the bike, not just some parts of your riding haha!

SV650 is a great, if not the best learners sportsbike on the market imo. If you wanna really learn how to ride a bike though, get something with no torque what so ever, like an old 250 four stroke or better yet, a 2 stroke :) Again i suppose probably a sink or swim bike, ahhh feck it, stick to the sv650, my mates first bike was an sv650 and hes still riding that bike now!

Reply to this Topic
drummingsim

Sep 10

drummingsim says:

ZX6R

Went from a YBR125 to this after passing my test. Wasn't sure about the riding position to start with and the power was a kick in the nuts, but after a few hours on it taking it easy and building up slowly, I haven't looked back! Awesome machine. Everyone's different mind, so weigh up your options carefully :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices