Skip to content

Discuss This Disability forces Toseland’s racing retirement World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Disability forces Toseland’s racing retirement

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Disability forces Toseland’s racing retirement

Double World Superbike Champion, James Toseland is retiring from professional motorcycle racing with immediate effect following a visit to Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Mike Hayton, yesterday. The visit confirmed Toseland’s worst fears that the damage sustained to his right wrist during a testing crash at Aragon earlier this year is irreparable and no amount of physiotherapy can repair the injury. The crash...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 September 2011 10:16)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
frisky

Feb 08

frisky says:

Comiserations JT

Done with dignity as you have all your career through.

Good luck with finding something to fill the gap that this decision will leave.

Be proud, you deserved every success you achieved.

A great Ambassador for British Racing - don't be a stranger and fade into the shadows. Would love to see you commentating or here of you sharing your talent with other budding racers. Nuff said:upset:

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Good luck JT. With regards to one comment below, how low can you get? You don't win two WSB championships by chance, you earn them.

Reply to this Topic
dohc

May 09

dohc says:

Thanks JT

You could always find JT knocking around the paddock willing to give time and autographs to the fans when other riders locked themselves in their motorhomes. He appreciated the fans and the fans appreciated him. Hopefully the fact that he isn't racing anymore doesn't mean we won't see him at races still meeting the public.

Good luck with whatever you do now James, and thank you for all you have done for the sport. 

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

Sad

Never rated JT as a rider until he rode the Ten Kate Honda in 2007 and gave the legend Troy Bayliss a run for his money and excited us most weekends.He earnt my respect that year, and then the first race in moto gp the following year, he almost got pole position, only being beaten by Lorenzo in the last few minutes. And Lorenzo was on a factory bike that had a faster engine than James and Collin. Unfortunately it seemed to go down hill slowly and has been painful to watch him get now where or crash over trying. But at the end of the tunnel there is a light, and although he has limited hand movement for throttle control, the doctors gave him the all clear for wanking :-) All the best for the future JT

Reply to this Topic
Jeff44

Apr 05

Jeff44 says:

Sad News

Must be gut wrenching for JT.Hope he finds a new career path,a crap way to end your career exceptionally bad luck! Cherish the great times JT(ie winning 2 WSB titles!!)  I wish James all the best in whatever he does in the future.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

What a wonderful place Britain would be

if it was populated with individuals of the skill, intellect and respect of the likes of James Toseland. Instead there's an underclass of Leecho's floundering in the shallow end of the gene and talent pool lashing out and pulling down as many as he can. Sad.

Reply to this Topic
Ocdcbr

Jul 11

Ocdcbr says:

A credit to us brits

Jt was a great rider and from what I could see a perfect gent. He had a tough upbringing( read his biog) and he brought that tough mentality to the track. I think his wsb titles and race wins were superb, often hard fought and won. His performance in moto Gp wasn't bad either. . . . Considering. He kept with Rossi and re took him into the first turn at Philip island for a couple of laps!! And I for 1 was cheering him on! Good luck James for your future, a shame your racing career has be cut short.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

JT52

My Favorite rider Nori on the santander R1 was by far the best rider that seizon. But James took the title as he did a few years before that at Magny-Cours on the Ducati. 2 Titles counts in my book. You can"t muck about and take 2 world titles? JT you earned them mate....

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

Good luck with whatever he enters into now.

Some racers you wonder what they'd do when they retire.  JT seems to be someone with the grace and the smarts to get on with whatever he decides to do now and do it well.  It does seem like a very pragmatic decision.  No sense in further screwing up your hand, particularly with his love of playing the piano.  Given it's a problem operating the throttle it's hopefully not an action required for the piano (which tends to be in the one plane).  Re his titles, everyone needs a bit of luck to get there.  I had my doubts after the first but not after his second.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Good luck James!

Met you at a bike dealers in Preston with Foggy when you were about 16 and you asked why I wanted your autograph. Well I must have had a premonition how good you were going to be. Don't remember ever seeing anyone else pass Rossi twice in the same race as you did once (Philip Island I think!) and that was when he was winning. You'll be in the history of great British riders forever, you don't win World championships just on luck, only on talent.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle