Skip to content

Discuss This Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us

Motorcyclists wearing helmets have assaulted petrol station staff, according to Morrisons. The statement was made in the retailer’s latest justification for demanding riders remove helmets before filling up with fuel. MCN revealed the store’s customer services department had said in an email that petrol fumes could get inside helmets and cause the wearer to pass out – a claim branded “impossible”...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 September 2011 14:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

burka is a key point - if it was that much of an issue people would be asked to remove them... What if we claimed to be wearing our helmets for religious reasons? Personally I usually take my helmet off anyway like @slowlearner anyway

Reply to this Topic
nickGT

Sep 11

nickGT says:

Surely if someone was riding a motor cycle then they should be 16 or over anyway? When I was 16 I looked 14. Would they prevent me from filling my bike up?

Reply to this Topic
kdouglasjones

Mar 06

I was asked by the cashier to remove my helmet when I was standing in front of him about to pay! I told him that it was discrimination and that it was a legal requirement for motorcyclists to wear one, nothing else was said on the matter.

Reply to this Topic
Moke1275

Jun 10

Moke1275 says:

If these coimment represent the majority of bikers it is a sad day. Remarks are full of ignorant language and scary paranoia. common sense says take your helmet off. You would not walk around any other store with your helmet on and expect to be treated without some concern by staff. if you were running a store would you want people entering it with a helmet on and I include motorcycle shops in that! Some of you need to find something meaningful to complain about and stop whining.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Joke1275

Maybe you should read into the comments as most of them are concerned with where this type of branding a biker a menace is heading in this country!! This thread was started as morrisons is hiding behind bullshit excuses, no other road going group has to put up with any of this shit but yet we must sit and take it. Clearly you have never ridden a bike during winter as taking your helmet, earplugs etc and then finding a dry clean place for ones expensive kit in the super cold. Meaningful that mate!

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Re.Moke 1275

All the paranoia is coming from the other direction mate, by way of seeing all motorcyclists (who by law are required to wear a helmet) as potential thieves. I suspect you don't resent it because you're more interested in slow Mini-based clown cars and probably not a biker at all?

Reply to this Topic
Akrapov1c

Sep 11

Akrapov1c says:

big deal?

1stly I always take my helmet off when paying, it just seems common courtesy to do so to be honest.

2ndly I dont think Bikers are all being frowned upon as potential thieves but I do think anyone wanting to rob such a place is pretty likely to grab a bike and do so in a helmet for all of the obvious reasons. So in that respect I understand why we are asked to remove our helmets.

3rdly Isnt there more urgent things to whine about on the motorbike front? I think so.

These posts need to see more discussion about sollutions instead of mindless ranting. A post hieronder mentions taking gloves, helmet, earplugs etc off on a winters day and no dry place to put em.....why not suggest to eg. Morrisions they invest in a sollution to that and help bikers help them!!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Akrapov1c... (& Moke1275)

The helmet removal rule applies even at the pay-at-pump dispensers. I don't usually find it necessary to be courteous to pumps... & you have to put your pin in before you buy so I'm not exactly a threat to one.

The extra time & inconvenience involved (especially in winter) have obviously been overlooked when writing this policy... as well as reasonableness & common sense. If you fill up every day & have to leave 5 mins early just to meet the excessive needs of an oversensitive machine at the whim of an ignorant executive it starts to piss you off after a while.

I already asked Morrisons about a safe place to put my helmet... they ignored the question & wouldn't respond on whether they'd pay for any damage or loss concerned (after all their forecourts are obviously frequented by helmet wearing thugs looking for helmets to steal). In fact they just keep repeating the same policy statement ignorant of all concerns... it appears their CEO values our custom but unfortunately he employs Directors that do not.

I agree, there are more important things... so I'll just take our custom to where it's appreciated. The only problem comes when other companies cite the Morrisons policy as a reason to implement it themselves.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

A 'big deal' to some

A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned.

1: If I was going to steal petrol & risk the police catching me I'd do it in a car with false plate & nick 40 ltrs rather than 8ltrs. As the saying goes 'I'd rather be hung as a sheep than a lamb'

2: If I was going to rob Morrisons fuel payment point I would fill up at Asda, ride in to Morrisons near to the kiosk where the cameras are less likley to 'see' me & an sit ready to ride off while my pillion passenger dashes in with his dark visor down, grab the cash without waiting in the queue then jump on the bike.

As for somewhere to put your helmet, they would have to have a suitable place at every pump, and one at the paypoint which would have to be a 'walk in & pay' rather than a 'drive up to & pay'.

I had no problems at Asda yesterday at the 'walk in' type. We even chatted & had a laugh (cashier & I). I personally would have no problems serving anyone in full protective equipment for the vehicle they are driving (even with dark visor) but would if it were someone wearing a burka, snorkle jacket closed up in summer or similar face coverings I'd feel very uncomfortable to say the least.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

helmet

i take it then that some on here take off their helmet when they stop to buy a newspaper\?or pickup their child from school?use a cashpoint?? I suggest that the person who converses with morrisons inform them that if all the bikers boycott them then 90% of us are also car drivers and also shoppers for their weekly food etc!!!!I think that a boycott could cost them some £100,million per annum ?( £30 per biker est!)(£250 per month off me alone)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices