Skip to content

Discuss This Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Morrisons: Bikers in helmets assault us

Motorcyclists wearing helmets have assaulted petrol station staff, according to Morrisons. The statement was made in the retailer’s latest justification for demanding riders remove helmets before filling up with fuel. MCN revealed the store’s customer services department had said in an email that petrol fumes could get inside helmets and cause the wearer to pass out – a claim branded “impossible”...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 September 2011 14:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Email Sent

I will post any comments I recieve from those concerned.

In the meantime those of you who are not happy with this policy, get emailing to them. The more the merrier.

Please keep the emails polite & friendly, don't give them another excuse to alienate us.

Reply to this Topic
Akrapov1c

Sep 11

Akrapov1c says:

oOoOoOoO

Boycot em? If you feel ragged at their policy then why not?

Oh and while they are at it they sould ban bloody hoodies!! Not to mention clothing worn by certain religions that cover all but the eyes....and dont beat around the bush here, religion is a life style choice and so is my bloody biking!!!

Reply to this Topic
Tremus

Sep 06

Tremus says:

I wouldn't dream of entering any shop or petrol station wearing my helmet, to do so is the height of selfishness. How difficult is it to remove your helmet?

Reply to this Topic
KawaBootie

Jul 10

KawaBootie says:

What's the fuss about?

I can't see any issue with this at all. Personally I think its a very minor hassle to remove your lid when getting fuel. If someone rolled up in a hoodie/balaclava/hijab I personally think Morrisons should be entitled to have them take those items off too. If (sadly) in some places local scum use bikes and helmets to rip people off and commit crime I am happy to take a minor inconvenience to help the community and businesses deal with it.

Reply to this Topic
delindevon

May 10

delindevon says:

I presume the same rules apply to anyone in a Burka.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Kawabootie...

... have you actually read the objections already posted?... it may be a minor inconvenience to you but to someone who has to fill up every day it becomes a major & completely unnecessary hassle... have you ever had an earplug fly out as you've taken your helmet off & land in a puddle of diesel?... would you consider putting it in your ear for the 65 mile ride ahead or would you put up with the noise & whistling sound in your ear as you lay in bed that night? Have you ever heard that sickening crunch as helmet hits concrete & you realise you've gotta shell out £xxx for a new lid?... or would you leave your helmet on the floor next to the earplug in the diesel?

It may be a minor inconvenience to you but don't ask "what's the fuss about?" when it's been so clearly spelt out for you.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
james1987

Aug 06

james1987 says:

Dear Sir,

I live in Bradford and there are a great many people here who walk around completely concealed in burkhas, black fabric covering them from head to toe bar a small slit for the eyes. I have never once seen a lady in a burkha asked to remove it to verify age in order to purchase petrol for her car. My question is, if I were asked to remove my helmet at one of your petrol stations in order to 'verify my age', and it turned out I was wearing a burkha underneath, would it be assumed that despite my 6'3 frame I was in fact a muslim woman and my dignity respected, or because I was riding a motorcycle would I be asked to remove that also?

I suppose being a major supermarket you get to both have your cake and eat it. :)

I look forward to your next public response on www.motorcyclenews.com and I hope it is more considered than the initial petrol fumes example. I personally will take my shopping elsewhere from now on, not just my bike.

Regards,

Reply to this Topic
james1987

Aug 06

james1987 says:

sent to Mark.Todd@morrisonsplc.co.uk, slightly tongue in cheek but I look forward to his response.

Reply to this Topic
KawaBootie

Jul 10

KawaBootie says:

Hedgehog5

Yes...I've read all the comments thanks. Sorry though, I can't see why if I can manage to look after my own lid and earplugs and fill up with fuel at the same time other people can't do it too. I think the arguments in favour of equal treatment for people in helmets or other kinds of attire are valid. If I choose to ride a bike and wear a lid (which I do), or like fancy dress (not for me thanks), or wear disguises as a hobby, or decide to adopt a religion which prescribes face coverings (maybe not), that's my decision and should not be allowed to frustrate the lawful operation of a legitimate business, or the owners' right to conduct that business in a way which they see fit in order to (specifically here) protect themselves and their staff from a perceived harm.

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

Our Morrisons,

has the pay-at-the-pump machines. The staff there are quite happy to leave us to it even though there's loads of "remove your helmet" signs, even outside.

I don't see a problem with removing my helmet to go into the shop, personally I think it's polite and good manners. However... it is a tad hypocritical when it's enforced if you consider head-scarfs etc. would reflect on someone's religious "beliefs".

I don't think it should be enforced at all, and I would love to see james1987 suggestion as a posted video sketch on MCN.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices