Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Will EU anti-tampering measures affect you? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Will EU anti-tampering measures affect you?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Will EU anti-tampering measures affect you?

European Commission plans for anti-tampering measures mean that tuning will become impossible and even home servicing will be hampered. All new bikes will get so-called on-board diagnostic (OBD) systems which could detect non-standard parts and trigger a warning light until the ‘fault’ is rectified by a dealer. One aim is to prevent any modification to the ‘powertrain’ which could include anything from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 September 2011 15:49)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ars161065

Jun 09

ars161065 says:

eu stupid rules

i find it unbelievable that a so called free country continues to have our basic rights to be "free" taken away under the guise of safety,hi viz jackets are a complete waste of time can you see the government drones sorry i mean cops stopping and enforcing that law with hells angels i want to be there for that.people need to realise it starts with bikes then it will be all vehicles yet i see nothing green is being done to supercars owned by the rich theres a suprise.Mps work for us but year after year were all being told more and more what we can and cant do by these power hungry greedy morons,my wife is from Zimbabwe which is run by a dictator yet there is less red tape and more insufficiency than here in the uk.WE NEED TO STOP THESE STUPID RULE MAKERS NOW!

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

petition

theirs no point in discussing why this is such a stupid rule. as that wont change the EU's mind.

sign the petition. it wont even get noticed until their is 100,000+ signatures

Reply to this Topic
fzr_paul

May 07

fzr_paul says:

petition

Signed last week , e-mailed the MEPs for my area, also my local MP, also the mrs, my sons etc etc have done the same

, motorbikes and lifestyle for the last 35 years, been riding and had bikes since 13, used all year come rain snow etc maybe it won`t make a diff with the e-petition. Thing is , i getting a bit pi**ed off with people i know who just shrug n say " it will never happen, they wont get it all thru, i gotta mow the car that sunday or wash the lawn ". Time we got out there and got some people to start to take notice of this, if they dont atleast give up a couple hrs and a few quid for petrol on the 25th, and press a few keys on the keyboard ,dont cry like a baby when u cant ride yer pride n joy no more, u aint earnt the right IMHO. Anyway its also about everyones right to freedom of speech, choice of lifestyle, not just this latest set of restrictions, if u dont use it, believe me these lot will make sure u lose it

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
yammy7r

Apr 09

yammy7r says:

EU

Signed today, we need more signatures, get signing

Reply to this Topic
Panchdara

Feb 08

Panchdara says:

I just signed

Me thinks the UK is so spineless that anything the EU wants the UK govt just bends over and takes it up the a$$ (and probably enjoys it!) Meanwhile, we the people who PAY them continue to get shafted for something we never wanted to pay for in the first place.

Well done Westminster... well done! Prove to us that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't shining from one of your ears thru to the other..

Reply to this Topic
Dave748

Jul 05

Dave748 says:

Anti-Tamper

The link to the e-petition is a bit buried in here so here it is again: - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5334. I think this is a real possiblity. When you look at current bikes and cars they are not far off unserviceable now owing to the complicated electronics, each requiring a seperate plug-in box to talk to the car/bike. My local Triumph dealer thinks it's great that the bikes have to be connected to the factory computers to check that all is in order with the ECU etc. As he says, it stops non-authorised shops from working on the bikes.

Reply to this Topic
colinmeister

Oct 06

colinmeister says:

Anti-tampering.

So all new bikes will be fitted with an OBD box.  Big deal, I'm sure hacks will be available within weeks of these being launched. 

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

I find this completely unacceptable. It feels like an infringement of human rights in favour of large corporations. It wasn't so long ago that the monopoly of insisting on main dealer servicing by warranty invalidation was eradicated from the car world. How can allowing it by the back door for bikes be right. Also unless this applies to ALL vehicles I consider it prejudiced. I don't believe it will do anything to improve safety, that comes from education and peer pressure. However there's nothing wrong with enforcing standards for aftermarket parts used on the road - that would make more sense. E.g. most of us would only buy name brand brake pads. You could make it illegal to some safety related parts that don't meet a certain standard.

Reply to this Topic
astar0012

Sep 11

astar0012 says:

crazy notion

surley if this goes through and people then make any tampering to there bikes this would invalidate insurance

also how many jobs would be lost as a result as the companies making after market parts would no longer be able to survive

this idea is ludacris and full of flaws and will do nothing for bike safty or to change statiics if someone is going to be recklass on a bike they would be with or without modifications

Reply to this Topic
DonaldB

Sep 09

DonaldB says:

Time to fight the EU Again

This is madness, part of the fun of owning a bike for a lot of us is maintaining and repairing it ourselves. So the EU wants to fight with the bikers again, we can take them on and win if we all stick together and fight them politically through the right channels. We won the fight against their plans to limit bikes to 100BHP in the early 90's by peaceful demonstrations across Europe that finalised in the largest protest run ever in Brussels. We wrote to our MP's and kicked up so much hassle for the Eurocrats that they backed down. It can be done.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices