Skip to content

Discuss This Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs

Motorcyclists are being subjected to 15-minute roadside MoT-style inspections because of a police training course. Riders are stopped in large numbers and directed into makeshift inspections bays where their bikes are examined by two officers. The operations are training days on a City & Guilds motorcycle inspection course for police. In the latest, in Birmingham last Wednesday during rush-hour, 76 motorcyclists were stopped,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 September 2011 17:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

@adamkwood...

The insurance companies are already doing that by pricing anyone under 25 out of the motorcar market....

A friends' son is finding that out...... £3.5k insurance on a £400 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 !!  and THAT is with limited mileage per week and no driving after 9pm till 7am on weekends...

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Police priorities

They should have asked for volunteers and not forced members of the public to be herded up to justify some training experience for the Police.

Considering the training costs, I would like to know how the Police can justify a waste of taxpayers money for this when the money could have been better spent.

To put this into perspective, I have a council house resident that lives near me whose pikey boyfriend is staying at her council house. She has 3 kids, claiming benefits and he is living there although his official address is elsewhere. He is a total nuisance, parking his recovery truck on the footpath with heaps of shit on the back and blocking the footpath without any consideration for anyone else. The neighbours regularly call the Police because he is beating her. He's also taking drugs and is pissed up most of the time.

Do the Police do anything? - no. Do the Council do anything?- no.

So the question I have to ask is what is the Police priority? Is it to protect and serve or is to persecute the innocent?

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Taxes

As a tax paying citizen of the UK I'm inclined to ask is this a good use of my taxes? Are we in the worst economic crisis since the 1930's or not? That someone obviously thought this was a wise allocation of scarce resources doesn't auger well for a swift economic recovery. Still it's a nice day out for them and they even get a little certificate to commemorate their outing.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
OTimms

Mar 09

OTimms says:

Not just a biker thing

I have personal experience of this operation and know the police regularly carry out these routine inspections. They are generally aimed at all vehicle types but occasionally focus on specific things such as motorcycles, as reported here. I think there is an inclination to see this is a biker victimisation exercise by the police when in fact it forms part of their wider responsibility to keep all road users safe. How many times do you see cars being pulled over because the driver isn't wearing a seat belt or because they are on their mobile phone? As for the City & Guilds angle, well, we all have to continue our professional development whatever job we do and the police aren't any different. Some have called this a waste of tax payers' money but I wouldn't like the officers learning all this stuff in a classroom. I would rather see them out on the streets, being visible and actually doing something practical and constructive as they learn. I would not object to being pulled over for one of these routine inspections and would be reassured by a thumbs up from the police. If road users have got a problem with this type of operation, fair enough, but let's not make this exclusively a biker thing.

Reply to this Topic
fzr_paul

May 07

fzr_paul says:

the point

@OTimms, as you state yourself "How many times do you see cars being pulled over because the driver isn't wearing a seat belt or because they are on their mobile phone?". The point i think here is that there is a road traffic offence being committed. If i am travelling this country with a fully legal car bike etc, committing no moving traffic violation, i do not want to be used as a teaching aid for the local constabulary. If i am asked to participate in a training program i may well consent to this, but that would be my choice.

Reply to this Topic
ChristophGSX

Sep 11

ChristophGSX says:

Deferred Test

As Bob Fisher pointed out, Section 67 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 gives you a right to a deferred test - providing you haven't been involved in an accident on the public highway or the officers inspecting your bike have the opinion that your bike is so defective that it shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Oh FFS

Based solely on the MCN article, it does look like a poor-show from the police, doesn't it?  But then we must remember that MCN (like all press) has an agenda and one of the main ways they do that is via selective reporting to wind you lot up.

Does this article make you feel any better? www.middevonstar.co.uk/news/9013019.Vehicles_seized_following_police_stop_and_search/ Dodgy drivers getting taken off the road and thus making things safer for you.  Isn't that what you want?  The police cracking down on dangerous vehciles?  Or how about this?  Half of all the vehciles were dangerous!  www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Half-vehicles-stopped-faults/story-11948215-detail/story.html (targetting cars it seems)  I will concede, that these could simply be pro-police PR puff stories, but it does at least illustrate that you have to be careful about only relying on one source.

"Waah! They're taregting bikers! Waah! Discrimination! Waah!" Grow up. Other times they probably targeted vans, then trailers, then...it's training FFS.  Hey, here's another check (few years ago, use your own search-fu) where they targetted good vehicles.  www.policeoracle.com/news/Multi-Force-Motorway-Day-Of-Action_16041.html

And asking for volunteers is simply hilarious; do you think people who know their vehcile has 'defects' will volunteer?

The police never do enough for you in terms of safety and yet when they try, you lot start screaming like a bunch of nancies. If your bike is legal (and it should be, otherwise you are a hypocrite) then all you've suffered is a minor inconvenience.  Yes, it does suck but it's a small price to pay.

Are the police always right and above reproach?  No, but I don't anything wrong with what they are doing in this particular case.

As for targetting bikers, I have happened across a couple of police checks and slowed down in case they wanted to pull me; nope, waved right through and the cars in front/behind pulled.  They were targetting cars!  Oh, the humanity!

And no, I am not a cop.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Worthwhile

They did it here (in Spain) last year, and discovered that some 90% of bikes didn't have valid MOT's.  (Mostly scooters admittedly)  If it's keeping illegal vehicles off the road, what's the problem?

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

Undermanned Police Force

How very dare they!!

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

Just to think your taxes are paying for these morons.It's funny how they have a manpower shortage at times of crisis,but when it comes to hassling bikers it's never a problem.How much do i hate these c**ts.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices