Skip to content

Discuss This Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Cops put bikes through roadside MoTs

Motorcyclists are being subjected to 15-minute roadside MoT-style inspections because of a police training course. Riders are stopped in large numbers and directed into makeshift inspections bays where their bikes are examined by two officers. The operations are training days on a City & Guilds motorcycle inspection course for police. In the latest, in Birmingham last Wednesday during rush-hour, 76 motorcyclists were stopped,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 September 2011 17:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

hairymuppet

Asking for volunteers isn't hilarious. If the Police want experience then call upon the public to help them get experience. You cannot stop the public in the course of their everyday activities - like going to work and herd them into a layby to justify helping  the Police with their training. I really don't see what is so hilarious.

For me, the problem is the Police think they have a right to stop innocent individuals and demand they are a part of a Police training programme. You should be asked if you wish to participate. What is wrong with that?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

NinjaChica

That's what ANPR is for...

Reply to this Topic
Nighthawk49

Jun 11

Nighthawk49 says:

This just pisses me right the frack off !!!!

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

here here hairymuppet surely you have rights as to being stopped in your normal course of travel ,also not to stop if you so choose ??

maybe they should be doing this with car's to I get sick of the number of cars and vans with no lights at the fron because they have blown or smashed in rear light cases.....how many are driving without insurance or an mot etc............if the police checked that the bike you were on was stolen or not then that would not be so bad....but just stopping for maintenance checks is a bit off.

Reply to this Topic
tractorboybig

Nov 10

No problem here BUT will they be doing the same at the same time to the cars in the area?

NO

incompetent bunch of victimising small brained over paid not fit for purpose pric**S.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

What next?

How about herding pedestrians into pens and seeing if they are carrying drugs or shop-lifted items. Or stop children on their way to school to check their lunch box to see if they have too much junk food, the list goes on! Meanwhile, in a house nearby, a burglar whistles as he carries the last of the electronic goods from a house, knowing he is safe whilst he morons down the road play at mechanics. I don't mind anyone, me included being pulled up if there is just cause, but to make someone late for work just so you can tinker with their bike is ridiculous. Why not get some bikes from a dealer to practice on so you don't inconvenience anyone? The image of the Police is going from bad to worse!!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

tractorboybig and magpiemale

They are doing it with cars, I even gave you links to stories about them doing it.

The police can stop you whilst driving (asking if you'd witnessed something, warning about conditions ahead, checking your vehicle...)  And in this case they decided to stop bikes and check them.  No big deal.

Reply to this Topic
Jamieh5463

Mar 11

Jamieh5463 says:

Guys, seriously, you bitch and moan that Police were ONLY using speed cameras in the name of health and safety (which was a complete load of bollocks), and now they're doing something that is UNDOUBTEDLY for safety reasons and isn't penalising anyone you still complain, I'd much rather the government concentrated on something like the above than fitted more speed cameras.

Reply to this Topic
tractorboybig

Nov 10

Hairymuppet.

yes the police can stop anything on the road and test it. so they should,

BUT

you tell me where in England in the last 500 years the police in a city in the rush hour have stopped every car

directed them to a car park and tested them?

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

ARRGGHH

FFS Know YOUR RIGHTS.

Section 67 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 - you can ask the police to defer the test.

it is not a loop hole but a specific right written into the ACT.

see sub-section 6 as below

(6)On the examiner proceeding to test a vehicle under this section, the driver may, unless the test is required under subsection (7) or (8) below to be carried out forthwith, elect that the test shall be deferred to a time, and carried out at a place, fixed in accordance with Schedule 2 to this Act, and the provisions of that Schedule shall apply accordingly..
(7)Where it appears to a constable that, by reason of an accident having occurred owing to the presence of the vehicle on a road, it is requisite that a test should be carried out forthwith, he may require it to be so carried out and, if he is not to carry it out himself, may require that the vehicle shall not be taken away until the test has been carried out..
(8)Where in the opinion of a constable the vehicle is apparently so defective that it ought not to be allowed to proceed without a test being carried out, he may require the test to be carried out forthwith..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices