You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Engine oil

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

brothtash

Jan 10

brothtash says:

Engine oil

:unsure: I'm thinking of using Castol Magnatec in my FZS 600. I'm sick of paying over £10 per litre for "special motorcycle oil".  Is it just the "fear factor" that makes us pay over the odds, or am I missing something? My local bike shop stocks oil @ £34 per litre. just how good can oil be?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 September 2011 13:06)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

put bike oil in bikes mate lol

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

car oil

for 7 years i ran my bandit 1200 on castrol gtx 10/40 and on magnatec also.never a problem.a few years back i had access to the turbo diesel oil our company ran our artics on.i used  this in my z650 and apart from a bit of a strange smell from the exhaust,no problem.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
brothtash

Jan 10

brothtash says:

oil

Never considered Halfords   Thanks.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Oil

I'm with robsot on this one - bike oil for bikes.  It's designed to do the job!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

bike oil

If you're going to ignore the label, why not run it on veg oil??? It's LOADS cheaper...

oil

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

oil

Yea use Halfords, I've used it in all sorts of bikes and never had a problem. Unless you're racing or running something really exotic then bog standard oil is ok.

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

oil

I was asked by a bike mechanic what sort of oil I used a couple of years ago and he warned me against using car oil because of the following:- most bikes use a wet clutch i.e. it is immersed in the engine oil which is specially formulated for wet clutches whereas cars use a dry clutch outside the engine. Apparently car oil has extra slip additives which aren't used in bike oil, this can cause clutch slippage on a bike with a wet clutch. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'd use bike oil everytime unless you have a bike with a dry clutch.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Deary me

when are you people goin learn,the advice you have been given is very wrong.Do not run your bike on car oil,car oils have additives for cars which are very damaging to bikes.Your bike has a starter clutch,if you run a good grade car oil the additives will cause the sprags to slip, which will wear shards of case hardened steel off which will now be floating about in your engine,just waiting to come in contact with a white metal bearing face.So now your into a starter clutch,then it starts causing problems with the clutch plates,slightly slipping under load,then your into a clutch rebuild,then farther down the line comes the engine failure if the filter didn't pick all those case hardened steel splinters.Motorcycle oil is the same as any other oil,barring the additives the oil companies put in for pre-unit car engines which do not run starter clutches or wet clutches.This also why you don't see oil additives like say STP or WYNNS for bikes as these products will kill your bikes internals as well.So don't go there, i do enough repairs due to this problem than enough. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle