Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph's new R1200GS rival nears completion New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Triumph's new R1200GS rival nears completion

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph's new R1200GS rival nears completion

This image is the best picture yet of the all-new Triumph Adventurer 1200. The inline three-cylinder adventure bike was spotted in production-ready trim undergoing final tests ahead of its November launch. The new Triumph will go head-to-head with the all-conquering and class-defining BMW R1200GS adventure bike when it goes on sale early in 2012, and is expected to cost around £10,500...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 September 2011 12:51)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dogslow

Mar 10

dogslow says:

motorcycles ? expensive toys

Reply to this Topic
leesx11

Jul 11

leesx11 says:

triumph

Forgot about the yamaha super tenere AGAIN !!

Reply to this Topic
sam23600

Mar 04

sam23600 says:

triumph adventurer

The more they "style" these bikes to look like off roaders, the less ability they have! Yet again, "IMAGE IS EVERYTHING" Looks abit of a lash to me :-(

Reply to this Topic
chobbler

Aug 02

chobbler says:

sports bike with a GS fairing

revolutionary concept

no use at all to intercontinental adventurers, limited cred for North Circular poseurs

4/10

Reply to this Topic
aerobaticdog

Jan 09

aerobaticdog says:

so much negativity,  give it a chance, if its a patch on my new tiger they will sell like hot cakes

Reply to this Topic
wharvey

Aug 02

wharvey says:

Triumph's new R1200GS

Lets take MCN's statements one at a time - this should be fun ---

"All-conquering and class-defining BMW R1200GS" - that statement was only true until the MTS1200 appeared - wake up and smell the coffe MCN!

"It will produce around 140bhp" - "with 3 cylinders" -  MTS 1200 produces 150bhp with two cylinders and is a much smoother ride than the GS  for touring.

"Goes on sale early 2012" - wise up MCN the MTS 1200 specification was available 2010.

"All conquering" - Oh you mean like at Pike's Peak in the US where Ducati has won for the 2nd year in succession?

I guess MCN figured it was probably a good PR sales pitch to compare Triumph against the relatively antiquated BMW tech.  I'd value Triumph much more than that and would contrast their new machine with the true best in class - the Ducati 1200 Multistrada. The Triumph I guess will have a key advantage over both foreign bikes -  the price. Now I know what BMW stands for --  Brainwashed Motorcycle Writer - I only joke - nice thought provoking statements MCN!

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Triumph

Sounds like a great bike; comfortable riding position with good performance. I have an R1200GS and it really is a great all-rounder just lacks a bit of power. I have no intention of using it off road other than a fire-road. I rode a Multistrada and that was a great ride but it's expensive with complicated electronics and it's Italian. I'm that age that has a deep mistrust of Italian electrics. If this follows Triumph's recent record it'll handle, go, stop and be reasonably priced. As for the off road bit I just don't see the pleasure in riding a 200Kg behemoth, that will cost a fortune if you bin it, on any sort of real off road.

Reply to this Topic
Poolhog

Nov 10

Poolhog says:

triumph

Had a BMW1200gsa ... totally overated lumbering piece of outdated machinery ... really couldnt see what all the fuss was about and glad to get rid of it, took out a 800 tiger XC ... loved it, proper handling, eats motorways, great in town and the city, amazing bike. took ducati multistrada out .... nice bike but just for posers and pig ugly front end, Bought Tiger 800XC done 10,000 miles on it, been switzerland and back 5 times perfect bike, only thing i dont like about pics of new triumph 1200 is cast wheels not spoked, if they did a spoked version xc i'd buy it 100%.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

This has to be the most AWFUL looking bike that I ever saw in my life.

Reply to this Topic
Gordon D. Smith

Apr 08

Triumph Adventurer 1200

Ooh Yes! Not that I'm a fan of big adventure bikes, they just don't 'do it' for me - what I'm dying to try is a version of this motor and drive train in the new, long-awaited Trophy!! It's just got to be a winner!!

Agree that BMW are not the only people making decent large Adventure bikes so doubtless Ducati and Yamaha are also in competition but the plain truth is the Beemers have, by far, the highest sales, and are rightly seen as THE competition.

The MCN watermark only serves to confirm my suspicions - the release of this photo is another Triumph/MCN controlled leak - you just love to tease us!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices