Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are 600s still relevant? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are 600s still relevant?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Poll: Are 600s still relevant?

Would you buy a new 600? Though MV and Triumph have developed new supersports bikes, the Japanese seem to have all but given up on the class, with only Kawasaki rumoured to be doing more than planning a new paint job. So what do you think? Are 600s still relevant? And if not, why not?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 September 2011 14:00)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

Moving on from what philehidiot said, the question should be, what relevance do 200BHP bikes capable of near 200mph, with track suspension, crippling riding position and very little practicality have for most road users?

Surely the future for litre bikes is in the shape of the Z1000SX and Fazer1000 etc, ie decent handling, decent practicality and more than enough performance for the road? Being slightly softer sprung, and slightly less banzai makes them a more sensible choice for 90% of riding.

This would then make the super sport 600 the toy of choice for people addicted to high lean angles and razor sharp handling. At least you can exploit a little more of that performance on the road, and I don't think anyone could ever describe a 130bhp 600 as lacking real world power.

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

The supersport 600 models have suffered the same fate as the 1000cc superbikes in recent years, focusing entirely on track performance at the expense of usability.

A lot of the alternatives in the 600 class are a bit on the utilitarian side, in an era when basic transport is not what most buyers are looking for in a bike.  The new CBR600F is a case in point: heavier, slower, and generally more cheaply made than the model that went out of production a few years ago.

So I would say a lot of the models in the 600 class are increasingy irrelevant.  But I think around 90-130 bhp is a good amount of power for the road - enough to have fun and overtake quickly, but not so much you can't use it - so the 600 class itself can still be very relevant.  I could be tempted back by something with both premium quality and good usability; that's where I think the Japanese factories are missing out.  It seems to work OK for Triumph.

Reply to this Topic
HighRevz46

Sep 11

HighRevz46 says:

yes, relevant!

even if they are focusing mainly on making them good for the track theyre doing a good job arent they? the 600's are the funniest bikes around a circuit, they can even beat the 1000s on some small twisty circuits, we until you get the the straight lool

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Of course 600s are relevant

675s only exist because triples have a lower surface area to volume ratio, so it's harder to get them to breath at high rpm, so supersport allows more CC to make up for that and give them a chance.  600 foours are smoother and more suited to high rpm antics, with the joys that may bring.  I'm not really knocking 675 triples, just that for me they'll always feel a little closer to a learner fiendly chugging twin than than a screaming in line four.  The 600 four makes more rpm and more bangs per rev, meaning smoother torque and more of a screamer when you're in the mood.  All credit to Triumph for taking advantage of such a narrow engine by wrapping such a brilliant (if track focussed) chassis around it, making a Daytona 675 ride something that lives on in my grey cells years later, but actually generic 600 fours still have something it doesn't...

Yes, like the litre bikes they've become more and more over-quare over the years, meaning more but less usable power, but there's still enough usable power, and as many say, the top end power can more or less enjoyed on the road.

As for those saying it's 1000cc bikes that are irrelevant, they own or aspire to 600s and couldn't be more wrong.  Track missiles that also happen to make 50bhp at just 4500rpm from a smooth 4 pot with secondary balance shafts and making the same mpg as the 600... ..night and day I'm afraid.  Yes, 600cc bikes are relevant, but not as relevant as 750cc, 1000cc fours!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Its obvious why the Jap factories are struggling when they concentrate so much on super sports bikes like the 600s, 750s and 1000s. Triumph are the fastest growing and biggest selling in 600+ range, and how many supersports bikes do they have in their range? One! (I'm counting the 675 Daytona and R version as one.) The writing is on the wall! The japs need to take notice, even one-time sports bike manufacturers Ducati are diversifying.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja599

Jun 10

Mmm...

Litre bike for people that like to 'show off' and go like the clappers in a straight line, locking up just before the corner and riding it round like a two year old with stabilisers.

600cc bike for people that are either new to big bikes or actually want to ride a bike the way it should be ridden.

I've many friends that passed there test, pissed around on a 600 and then bought a litre bike not because they were ready for one after out growing the 600 or because they were anywhere near talented riders. No they bought em so they could boast about engine size. Other slight reason was the number of cheap deals on the litre bikes...

I've yet to meet anyone that can ride a litre bike properly. And honestly, what is the point in all that power and speed when the speed limit is 70mph??? A modern 600 will hit 160mph without too much hassle! Revving and changing gears? Bull, my 600 will pull happily in 6th from 25mph and most likely still out accelerate most cars!

In this time of ever increasing fuel costs the 600 is the NEW litre bike.... Things can only get smaller and less thirsty, any manufacturer that thinks otherwise should shut up shop now and go take up hair dressing or something...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Yellowninja599,

Better change your profile then.
"Dream bike, ZX10R"
:tongue:

I own a 600 and a 1000 and I love them both. If I had to have only one bike it would probably be a 600, but they're like different flavours. Try them!

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

how about...

A 600cc supersports engine in a 50cc scooter?

If you could make it fit...

Reply to this Topic
spiky20008

Aug 11

spiky20008 says:

commuting

600's will always be needed i had 4 before i went to a 1000 and the only reason was i can sit at 4.5K on the motorway with traffic and use less fule than on my 600, i know it sounds mad but at 75 to the gallon the blade beats my 600 hands down, and granted i'm no racer but the blade is just as nimble as my 6, the 1000's are so small and light now there is not much difference, but i think you will never know till you have tried them both .

plus the 1000's have far better styleing than 600's nower days its a shame but all the bikes 1000's and 600's just dont change anymore same model and shape year after year.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

spikey 20008!

75 mpg out of a Blade!!! Must be a new world record. I hope your fuel calculations are better than your grammar. At what speed do you travel at to get 75mpg? And don't say 70mph or you will be a laughing stock.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle