You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > courier company

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

courier company

Hello, im wandering if anyone can advise me on something. For the last 18 months i have been working on a self employed basis for a London courier company as a motorcycle courier. After one particularily busy wet day i decided i had had enough and just decided to email them and tell them i wasn't coming in again(not the way to do it i know). Now of course it would appear they are not paying me for the days i did leading up to me packing it in. I got paid weekly and i have seven days owed to me, i was on a fixed day rate. Are they within their rights to withold payment from me due to the way i decided to leave?? Being self employed im not sure if there is anything i can do about this....any advise would be greatly appreciated...thanks Ben:huh:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 September 2011 16:49)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Self Employed

If you really were self-employed, then (presumably) you sent them an invoice every week for your hours.  In this case, simply invoice them for your last week, and they will have to pay you.

Even if you were under contract, and left without any notice period, you are still due any hours that you have worked (less any deductions for holidays taken that were not accrued).

Reply to this Topic
parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

invoice

No I didnt invoice them, i would get a break down/pay slip at the end of every week detailing the jobs i done that week from them. Perhaps I should just invoice them!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Parky

The long and the short of it is that you conditions will be dictated by your contract - so you will need to refer to that. If you had a notice period I may well be that your ex-employer has deducted this money in lieu of notice.  The company has an obligation to explain any deductions to you so you know why the money had been deducted and can complain if you don't agree. 

So - check your contract in the first instance. 

Reply to this Topic
parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

contract

thanks for the reply Marcus...i will look into it.

Reply to this Topic
parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

still going

I have invoiced and written to the courier company in question requesting the money and a copy of my contract, but have heard nothing. So without my contract what can i do? a visit to the c.a.b possibly, can pay a solicter had a quote for £120. If anyone has any feedback that would be good. Thanks Ben

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle