Skip to content

Ask an Expert First Big Bike? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First Big Bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ro4dst3r

Sep 11

Ro4dst3r says:

First Big Bike?

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice. I'm quite new to biking & have really got in to it over the last summer. I'm riding a CBR125 at the moment, will be taking my test quite soon & am already itching to get a bigger bike. It's mostly for commuting down the motorway to work which is about a 50 mile round trip, but also for a bit of fun. I like the look of the roadsters & am thinking about getting a Yamaha XJ6, a Honda Hornet, Triumph street triple, Maybe even a Monster 696. There seems to be so much choice that I don't really know where to start & I was hoping you guys could help narrow down the selection.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 September 2011 20:31)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Usual questions:

What's your budget?

Have you considered insurance on the machines you like?

Reply to this Topic
Ro4dst3r

Sep 11

Ro4dst3r says:

first big bike?

well i wont be buying new. So maybe 4 to 6k. I hadn't thought about insurance costs but whatever it is will probably be cheaper than the car that I'm running at the moment. I am returning it in 6 months & want my bike by then. is insurance quite expensive for this type of bike? I realise I'll be paying a premium as a new rider.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Kawasaki ER6

early ones (2006/7) from about £2k, new for about £5k, and a doddle to insure as well (probably less than most others you've mentioned).

Other popular starter bikes are the Suzuki Bandit 6, SV650 and Honda CB500.

Personally, I wouldn't spend too much on it: it'll be quite gutting if you drop it, or throw your £5k pride and joy down the road - plus an older (lower value) bike will be easier insurance-wise as well.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Are you

planning to go down the 33bhp route?

If so you'll be paying for the extra cubes of the 600cc plus machines, without much benefit for the next two years.  A 500cc machine will make as much power, nearly as much torque low down, easily cope with motorways, but may work out a lot cheaper.  Think CB500 as mentioned above, or the more recent CBF500, or perhaps a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER5 or such.

Save the rest of the reddies for when the restriction comes off and you have some no claims discount behind you...

Reply to this Topic
Ro4dst3r

Sep 11

Ro4dst3r says:

33bhp?

No to the 33bhp route, isn't that for kids? Unfortunately those days are long gone. 

Thanks for the advice though. 
Having looked at the bikes mentioned I think that looking good is too important to go for an old donkey. I want something that looks the business & is a year or two old. Sod the money, its not making anything in the bank anyway.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

first big bike

i passed my DAS in June bought a new GSR750  a week later and insured it for £360 fully comp for a year with no "no claims" for biking! bugger buying an old clunker that someones been tinkering with in their hut and the first you know about it is when you put the brakes on and nothing happens!

Reply to this Topic
jonnypaul5

Sep 09

jonnypaul5 says:

first big bike

passed des november 2008 and bought a 2008 hornet 600,paid £4600 for it and just been offered £4600 as p/x so they defo keep there price if you look for best deals,anyway back to the bike i couldnt praise it high enough,nice styling,practical for everyday use only comes a close second to the street triple so forget rest in the class but could you live with the street everyday,rode 1 and i dont think so but thats up to you,hornet very fast,like i said only second to street but much more comfy and wont bite you in the arse plus cant beat honda for reliability,use it everyday even in the cold winters what with ice and snow,defo take the ones you like for a test ride tho defo helps with what riding style you like or prefer:-)just 1 more thing WHATS IS IT WITH PEOPLE SAYING YOUR GOING TO DROP THE DAMN THING,DONT LISTEN TO THESE IDIOTS,YOU WILL BE FINE,NOT EVEN COME CLOSE SO MUST BE THEY ARE BAD RIDERS,rant over,good luck with the test:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Ro4dst3r

Sep 11

Ro4dst3r says:

first big bike?

:laugh: thanks jonnypaul5.I'd be interested to know how many people have actually dropped a bike! You're right I'll need to spend a bit of time testing etc. Everyone does say how good the Honda reliability is & if they hold their value that well it will be near the top of my list for sure. What are you P/xing for?  

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

doesn't matter what bike

you get, its all about the right hand, control comes with practice . I've fallen off plenty of times, slow speed manoeuvres ie: turning round, riding on gravel or grass, these are the times you wish for invisibility as a crowd gathers to watch as you struggle to pick your bike up.

Reply to this Topic
jonnypaul5

Sep 09

jonnypaul5 says:

first big bike

no idea at the minute mate,looked at so many coz i ride everyday i need something thats not a sportsbike coz dont want that focused riding position so have looked at the cb1000r,speed triple,vfr800,crossrunner,bmw1200gs,tiger800 and the ducati multistrada,like the last ones styling and power but very expensive,keep going back to the cb1000r coz its honda what with reliablity and good re-sale value and really good write ups on it,will just need to read up on all of them,test drive and compare and hope i get the right one,let us know about your test and which bike you go for:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices