Skip to content

Discuss This New 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 gets traction control New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 gets traction control

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

New 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 gets traction control

This is the new 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 which has six-stage traction control and a mid-life redesign. Images have leaked a few hours before Yamaha’s official announcement later today and MCN will bring full details later on this afternoon. The R1 is still instantly recognisable; Yamaha is holding back on a radical redesign for at least another two years according to company...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 September 2011 10:45)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tractorboybig

Nov 10

Traction control? Whats the point of it being an R1?

Reply to this Topic
gixercarl

Sep 06

gixercarl says:

cross plane crank

had an CPC for a year awesome bike

however most owners where are and still moaning about it

its an awesome ride if you give yourself time to understand it

the trouble is the average idiot that bought it, all they wanted was another inline four

its the best built jap bike out there, the engine gives it great charachter

anyone with half a brain will realise the bike is the way its is to cope with a very punchy and interesting engine

one you learn to ride it is awesome tool, v twins need to be ridden in a certain way, well the R1 does to as well

so all you braindead knockers please wake up and see that yamaha has tried to give us something diffrent

rather than the continual string of inline 4's

traction control on a CPC brilliant idea

wake up and smell the coffee you numpties,

ps the knockers are usally the ones that do not have enough skill to ride anything than an inline 4

Reply to this Topic
gixercarl

Sep 06

gixercarl says:

cross plane crank

had an CPC for a year awesome bike

however most owners where are and still moaning about it

its an awesome ride if you give yourself time to understand it

the trouble is the average idiot that bought it, all they wanted was another inline four

its the best built jap bike out there, the engine gives it great charachter

anyone with half a brain will realise the bike is the way its is to cope with a very punchy and interesting engine

one you learn to ride it is awesome tool, v twins need to be ridden in a certain way, well the R1 does to as well

so all you braindead knockers please wake up and see that yamaha has tried to give us something diffrent

rather than the continual string of inline 4's

traction control on a CPC brilliant idea

wake up and smell the coffee you numpties,

ps the knockers are usally the ones that do not have enough skill to ride anything than an inline 4

Reply to this Topic
Rsix

Sep 07

Rsix says:

CPC

Your'e right. TC on this engine is a good idea. I think what people are saying that they expect more advancement for its third year, and likely another 2. Yes, it could be lighter, yes it could be smaller. Quite frankly dont care what it looks like (although its fuckin ugly), but there are some new arrivals which are better bikes. And yes the R1's are doing well in WSBK, but the bikes are completely different to those on the showroom floor.

Reply to this Topic
coco5940

Sep 11

coco5940 says:

ugly little duckling

Slow, fat, overweight, underpowered, ugly and overpriced! Can't say the Mk.1 was any of those apart from maybe the  standard exhausts, but then most bikes suffer from this problem, atleast when you change the R1's they look stunning, have yet to see a real tidy setup on the BMW/Honda or Kawasaki! As for power/handling, I've yet to come accross another bike that can totally blow me away on the road, might only have 155 bhp but by f**k does it lay it down well and to be honest after 10k miles on it I don't think traction control is really that necessary given the unique feedback from the back wheel. Strange that on the track too, this old knacker still manages to hold it's own. If it ain't broke....don't fix it! Speed block red and white would be nice in the UK :)

Reply to this Topic
tailsk6

Sep 11

tailsk6 says:

dissappointed

Well, like a lot of other posters I'm a bit dissappointed theres not more. Tidier front end, piss the exhausts off and loose some weight. After 3 years what have the R&D yamaha dept been doing. Sweet F all but the looks of it. Yes the global economy is not the best. But bikers will always scrape and mortgage for a bike with substantial improvements. The 2012 R1 is not the one.

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

YAMAHA R1 CPC Model

Yamaha R1 2009, cross plane crank model.

Been a total bike nut all my days always on sports tackle from fours twins and triples starting on strokers having owned over 30 various bikes from 15 years to 50 the best of the bunch to date is this work of art from Yamaha in their cross planre crank model. It may noy be everyones cup of tea but its the best for me so much feedback easy to use power stable and a word lots of media reporters commented on SAFE.

This bike to me as a road rider doing mega miles per year is a PLEASURE lots of room for my 6' 3" frame picked up the bike before price rise so I got a bargain at £9999. This is going to be a bike like my Duc 916 which I have owned since new 16 years ago costing me £13250 then. It will not leave my ownership as long as am able to ride it. Thank You Yamaha for a SUPERB machine.  

Reply to this Topic
180bandit

Jan 11

180bandit says:

I concur BigBull

The 09' R1 fits my 6'3" frame perfectly and has so much character, I don't see myself selling this bike ever. I'm glad this is the only update for 2012. It allows me to focus on buying my first Ducati, the 1199 or whateva name it will don. All I may do is purchase the 50th Anniversary kit for a change of attitude(current color is flat black/gold accents). I always wanted a race replica so this will have to do. No need for TC, my right hand hasn't failed me yet...

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i still yearn for the days when the R1 looked like a 2002 smoke grey model .... gorgeous.  this 2012 offering may be technically brilliant, but i just can't learn to love the looks.  roll on 2014.

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

I don't see the fascination with the 02/03 model

like the British do, I actually think it was the worst looking of the series.  As far as the 2012 is concerned, what would one expect as the global economy is still tanking.  Nothing new from BMW, Honda, nor Suzuki, just Kawasaki.  SO it is only reasonable that Yamaha just give a few small tweaks to the bike and as two other posters have noted, it is a sport bike that fits normal sized riders.  I stand 5'4" and find the Honda, Suzuki, and Kaw horribly cramp and unbearable for normal everyday roads.  SO just Yamaha gets crap for being rational during an economic crisis and building a bike that fits normal sized people.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle