Ask an Expert CB1000R Battery problems Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > CB1000R Battery problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

craig morrison

Dec 03

CB1000R Battery problems

My 2008 CB1000R spends the whole summer outside. After about 10-12 days unused the battery goes flat, I still get ignition lights but not enough power to start it. Garage replaced battery as it would not hold a charge. I asked him how long the battery should last unused and he thought about 10 days due to the HISS and Avatar alarm fitted. In winter I use a trickle charger but unable to use this during summer as bike parks across the street. Any other suggestions to what I can do?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 September 2011 22:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

quality battery

You need a quality battery,not Chinese/taiwan but German/Japan.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=402609

What make of battery/model did the garage fit?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Its

Probably a problem with the alarm not the battery?

Reply to this Topic
craig morrison

Dec 03

CB1000R Battery Problems

The black box on the alarm got replaced about 4 months ago. Was wondering if anyone knew if there was any kind of stand alone trickle charger that runs of its own battery instead of mains?

:huh:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Test your charging system.

A battery should still last longer than ten days.It sounds like you've enough new battery power to start and run the bike two or three times but the alternator and/or reg/rec isn't topping the battery up enough as you ride. When you then leave the already partially discharged battery for a couple of weeks with the alarm set it's enough to finish it off (-assuming it wasn't finished on the day you parked it, which is likely). In Winter your trickle charger has been doing the topping up so you won't have noticed.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

CB1000R Battery problems

If you read Jaffa90 post you will see Paulderkjohnson posts the type of trickle charger you need.

http://www.oxford-shop.com/item3272.htm

http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/optimate.html

Good Luck
KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
lawrencesalvoni

Jan 12

Honda HISS System

Sorry for arriving late with this thread.  I have a Deauville (yeah I know) living in Spain, the key lock is soooo sensitive that any bending causes the HISS system to activate leaving a flashing light on the dash for 24 hours (not always seen in direct sunlight) until I go back to the bike a few days later and - flat battery.  Can any techies out there offer some advice (no not change the bike!) - thanks

Reply to this Topic
ste birc

Aug 07

ste birc says:

craig

how about the charging system?

bad earth from battery?

generator on its way out?

i think you can use a multimeter to test the charging...

how much do you use the bike?

i once followed my brother for about 30 miles on his R6 unknown to him his generator was on its way out. his bike died 30 miles away. Basically had to ride to nearest bike shop 20 miles or so went back and fitted him a new battery. rode home and just going down a hill towards our garage and his bike was misfiring possibly due to no juice left in battery....was a good show especially when his bike was shooting big flames out of exhaust and banging not popping!!!

Reply to this Topic
furry allen

Aug 07

furry allen says:

flat battery

Hi most bikes seem to suffer like this my fireblade was the same these gell and sealed batterys  dont like being left standing and they are quite small for 1000cc bikes, but get your alternator checked as they do have problems on the cb1000r .The guy that works for me had the same problem with his f6c as he leaves it for months at a time so he bought a cheap car battery and connected it through his charger lead and that just keeps his topped up for 6 months even with an alarm fitted as the car battery is about 70 amps not the 12 of the bike then he just re charges the car one at home every now and then

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

solar

You can get a little solar powered trickle charger for about £30 or so. How you stop anyone nicking it is a problem but you could cable tie it to the bike each time or a lamp post... wont be a smart charger but will keep the battery topped up over the summer.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices