Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Ducati Diavel longterm report First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Ducati Diavel longterm report

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ian Jubb  says:

Video: Ducati Diavel longterm report

This year has flown by and with it 3000 miles have been covered on my Ducati Diavel long termer. Being a true Brit at heart I'd love to moan about it, pick holes and say grumpy things but I really can't, I haven't got a bad word to say, nothing that niggles enough to lay into anyway. Truth is, the Diavel has been an...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 September 2011 14:23)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MrMKJ

Sep 11

MrMKJ says:

Hi Ian

Is that the touring seat option, it looks a bit taller than on some others I’ve seen? Also is the spring on the Ohlins shock stiffer or softer than the original (I ask as I’m a bit of a lardy type).

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

nice

Nice report. But i'd ditch the 'ohlins' sticker, it somehow looks tacky.

Reply to this Topic
scotmoto

Feb 10

scotmoto says:

Diavel Carbon red

I picked up my Diavel in June this year and on the first day the rear tail lights failed so i took it back and they tested everything they could, eventually (15 aug 11) they finally found the fault which turned out to be a break in the loom, it is now 16 Sept 11 and i still do not have my top of the range Diavel back, and to add that the customer service with Ducati has been the worst i have experienced and they were happy to take my £15550 and left me with a bike i can't use.

That aside the bike rides like nothing else i have ridden, and has even caught out a few sports bikes, the only thing i would change is the rear shock as it struggles when your fully wound on, and the foot pegs/ gear lever scrapes the black stuff so i might splash out on a Ohlins for the ride height and high speed performance.

Awesome bike, i think i will hold on to this one...

Reply to this Topic
GrimDevil

Sep 11

GrimDevil says:

My long term review

I have had my Diavel for the same time period and have similar K's on the clock. I absolutely love the bike, but here are a couple of things that have come up for me... 

1. Wireless Module failure - for some reason the core of the key fob/ignition/steering lock failed. The emergency start button didn't work (as it is all the same thing) leaving me with a bike, stuck in a bike space in a car park, with the steering lock on. It took 1 hour for the tow-truck guy and myself to get the bike to position where we could load it onto the truck. The wireless module was replaced, but the whole process took over 2 weeks to be fixed. The main reason for the delay was that the parts had to be flown to and from Sydney as the Duc team in Brisbane did not have the required training or skills to resolve it. Considering this happened within 1 -2 weeks of receiving the bike I was very disappointed. 

2. A new Neutral - I've noticed as I change up or down a gear that I can slip into a "neutral" state between almost any gear. This is particularly annoying dangerous when I'm about to overtake and feel the need to shift down. I've swung out to accelerate only to find myself cruising with no power. The guys at Duc are looking into it, but no joy so far. 

Neither of these experiences/issues have put me off my bike. I love it. The ride is superb, the look is amazing and the grin factor is astounding. GrimD

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Is the after market service from ducati really that bad??

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Cor...

..3000 miles over the summer, that's a whole lot of hard riding.

Maybe instead of the useless bling you could have bought fuel?

(tries not to laugh)

Reply to this Topic
arthurbikemad

Aug 07

The Ohlins shock was on the .com site for months before you guys got it, what took sooooo long?  The stock shock is OK if you ride the bike like it should, I mean a Diavel on track....why?  The footpegs are a limitation to the bikes corner speed and the lack of a damper when pushed is interesting as the bike quickly gets out of shape, tbh if it only had 100bhp it would be perfect but once you open the bike up it gets out of shape easy!  I try and try to love the looks but just can't, love the way it rides but it still looks like a pig!  As for aftermarket bling from Ducati I think they are a rip off tbh, even though they have a fair amount of my cash from my 08 848..lol  Nice try Ducati but I know of many others that have had problems.. :(

Reply to this Topic
arthurbikemad

Aug 07

Oh and does anyone want to buy a tin of spam.?

Reply to this Topic
itrackday

Feb 04

itrackday says:

Great video

Well done for one of the best video reports I have seen on MCN. The staff photographer is a natural reporter! A really well delivered piece. And I'm definitely going to try the Diavel, my Speed Triple might have to be replaced.

Reply to this Topic
stco101

May 09

stco101 says:

Diavel Test Ride

I tried a Diavel today and to cut straight to it I reckon it was the best 90 minutes you can have this side of sharing a jacuzzi with three female Swedish 20 something sex maniacs, half a bottle of Havanna Club and a packet of Marlbroughs. I rode a mix of quick(ish) single lane A roads as well as a pretty straight dual carriageway and tried both the laid back cruiser'ish seating (arms straight, sat up) as well as a more aggressive arms slightly bent forward leaning position. I wouldn't want to ride it two up with a weeks worth of luggage but for the rider on his / her own it's a very hard bike to beat. I'm ordering one for sure but I am undecided about whether I'll be keeping my Busa as well.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices