Skip to content

General Bandit 600. Technical advice required! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Bandit 600. Technical advice required!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

H0DGI3

May 08

H0DGI3 says:

Bandit 600. Technical advice required!

Im having a bit of a time with my bandit 600. Its been on a trickle charge optimate thing for the last 6 weeks whilst ive been unable to use. I tried to start and it kind of slurred into a dieing mode stinking of petrol. It started off the jump leads from the car, not without a fight though. What do you think the issue is? The starter motor? I give it a good run  out and when i returned i knocked it off. Started it up and did so, however when i tried it for 2nd and 3rd it started to give up the ghost. the lights are very bright etc so i am assuming it aint the alternator. I will take it to the garage, but was hoping i may be able to sort it myself 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 September 2011 19:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bandit woes

If the lights brighten when the engine is reved then your alternator should be OK.  However, it is worth checking your charging system as, sometimes, when rectifiers fail they can over-charge your battery and kill it.  Checking your charging system is easy with a multi-meter. 

I think you will find that your battery has given up the ghost as it is not holding a charge.  But check it wasn't your charging system that killed it before fitting a new one or that will suffer the same fate.     

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

you've trickled it....

to death.:smileIs it a bike specific charger?...and it's a bad idea to jump start a bike from a car,too much power.Can't be the starter motor or it would not turn over no matter what you did.If you get it going again,see if the lights are dimmer on tick over and then brighten as you raise the revs,that will show that the reg/rectifier is doing it's job of limiting the flow of charge to the battery.As MarcusMarsh says,it sounds like the battery is done.

Reply to this Topic
H0DGI3

May 08

H0DGI3 says:

Thanks for the replies

The lights are bright when it is standing idling or revving it. The battery charger is the optimate 4, so its designed specific for bike batteries. I cant remember when i bought the current battery. maybe 1-2 years ago. How long do people usually get out of a battery?  

Reply to this Topic
krazybiker

Jul 11

krazybiker says:

dead battery

i had same problem not long ago.turned out battery was knackered there was enough power for the lights etc but not enought to start.Petrol smell is probably due to endless turn over so got flooded hense struggle to start on car battery

Reply to this Topic
krazybiker

Jul 11

krazybiker says:

battery life

2-3 years depending on how offern you use it as in all year riding or not and if its a good make or a crappy chinese thing off ebay:lol:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Hodg13...

Imagine that your bikes electrical system is a complex /sealed water system.Standing in a desert.The alternator is a pump that puts water into the system,but only when the engine is running.It sends this water up the 12 inch main (the thickest wires in the loom)through a one way valve(reg/ rectifier) and into the cistern(battery) from where a 12 inch main goes to the starter solenoid. There are several smaller 3 inch pipes taking the water to various parts on the system, which get the water when you open the taps (switches).The only thing keeping the water(electricity) in the pipes is the plastic insulation on the wire.And like water the electricity wants to find the easiest route to soak into the ground,so any split in that plastic will have the electricity running down the frame to Earth. Or a failure in the reg/rectifier will have the electricity going back to the alternator and frying it.But in your case I think the cistern is silted up with sand and can't hold enough water to turn over the waterwheel that is your starter motor.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Oldish

Like the way you explained that, you forgot to tell him not to get a wash in it though!! :blink: 

Reply to this Topic
djwaggy1

Jan 09

djwaggy1 says:

bandit 600

Don't forget to check the oil and condition,but does seem like a new battery needed.

Reply to this Topic
H0DGI3

May 08

H0DGI3 says:

very good explanation old(ish)git

and i think i got that!!! And im not very technical - next question is. What kind of battery do you recommend?Lad at work says i should get a sealed one - not the one i currently have which i had to pour in the acid. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices