Skip to content

General Petrol Pumps............. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Petrol Pumps.............

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

StuartWM

Sep 11

StuartWM says:

Petrol Pumps.............

Hello All,

I'm a mechanical design engineer for a company that designs and manufactures fuel delivery systems for garage forecourts. We're currently looking at designing a forecourt dispenser specifically for motorcycles ('Motoflow'), and it struck me as a sensible idea to get input straight from the horses mouth, as it were..............

At present, features we're anticipating are to limit the delivery flow rates to 40l/min (or thereabouts), reduce the nozzle length to avoid the auto cut-out activating too early, shrouding the nozzle to avoid tank damage, and providing a pre-set facility to allow a maximum 20l dispense with a limited flow for the last half-litre or so.

Please feel free to add your own suggestions as to what  specific features you feel would be of benefit to you, particular difficulties you encounter at the pump, and any other design requirements you feel would be useful, both from a practical, and safety, perspective?

(I don't intend to provide forecourt fag dispensers, dancing girls or beer taps, incidentally :winkie:)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 September 2011 10:59)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Pay at pump

Is essential if it's to come to the UK with our weather as during the summer you'll cook if you're not moving and during the winter there is so much insulation in kit that you'll still cook standing in a queue. When it's -7C and you're dressed to cope with that at a speed of 70mph, then your kit is actually insulating you from around -21C and whilst being stood in a shop waiting to pay at 20C, it gets very uncomfortable very quickly.

Then you set off having been sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish market into the cold and you get even colder and there's a real risk of hypothermia. I do not go to any petrol station which doesn't have pay at pump unless it's totally empty.

Reply to this Topic
adrenalinrush

Aug 05

Pay at Pump

Pay at pump would make life so much easier, anything to stop splash back and filling to the rim would be cool, as would lighter and colour coded user friendly nozzles.

It's nice to know someone cares...:wink:

Reply to this Topic
Spire

Oct 04

Spire says:

StuartWM

Thanks for the reply.  You might like to make the prospective purchaser aware that if the pump does not have a pay at pump facility it could be dead in the water.  I for one would still go to a traditional style pump with pay at pump facility rather than a bike specific pump that does not have it.

Judging by the other comments here many others seem to see it as an essential feature.

You also mention that the purchaser wants to increase through put.  Having bikes parked at the pump whilst the customer goes into the shop to queue up and pay reduces through put.. I would say pay at pump is an essential feature to achieve the purchasers objectives.  Try to get them to reconsider their stance on it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices