Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati 1199 Panigale's staggering power and weight figures leak New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Ducati 1199 Panigale's staggering power and weight figures leak

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Ducati 1199 Panigale's staggering power and weight figures leak

The new Ducati 1199 Pangiale superbike boasts 195bhp and 176kg weight in road trim – WET. These are staggering figures from a 1200cc twin and go a long way toward justifying Ducati's ditching of traditional belts on the engine and steel trellis on the chassis. The all-new engine features the most radically oversquare engine yet (KTM RC8-R: 105mm, Panigale: 112mm), gear/chain-driven cams,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 September 2011 23:17)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HiViZRiDeRMCN

Sep 11

I think this is the first Ducati that I'll buy!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The GP16

Struggles on the ultra stiff Bridgestones. The Pangiale will not have the same issues on the more compliant Pirelli's.

To get the rear head off my Ducati's X2Glider I always had to take the engine from the frame. Not as much of a mission as with a heaving great lump of an inline four or even a Guzzi. Both of which I've struggled with in the past requiring Schwarzenegger strength octopus limbs.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

or maybe

this is just the opportunity for the Japanese to build customer specials for non factory teams to take racing.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Nostro

To get the rear head off my Ducati's X2Glider I always had to take the engine from the frame.

This is my point.  What you describe is exactly how I expect it to be.  Drop the engine from the frame.  In the meantime, the front and rear of the bike are still attached to the frame.

With the Panigale, the front and rear of the bike are unbolted from the engine and now completely separate subassemblies lying on your garage floor.  This means that all electrical harnesses and hydraulic lines, drive chain , etc. that go from front to rear need to be disconnected to access the engine so it can be worked on.

Yeah, this concept make a very light bike but that's an unacceptably large amount of work to change a leaky valve cover gasket.

Reply to this Topic
scatterbrained

Oct 09

dropping the engine

While I have no inside information that anyone here doesn't have, I imagine tools will be developed for repair. It shouldn't be too hard for them to make a bracket that would hold the front and rear of the bike so the engine can be removed. Likely it will be expensive to buy the factory tool, but that doesn't mean someone can't make one of their own.  I've spent a lifetime working on cars and have some of the most odd looking brackets, braces etc. designed specifically for removing certain parts from many different late model cars.   I can't see why Ducati wouldn't develop something similar.

Reply to this Topic
bikemad123

Mar 09

bikemad123 says:

ha big numbers prehaps there trying to make up for the fact that not even the doctor can ride a ducati lol fabolous piece of innovative engineering tho would look really good in a shop window and with a price tag of probaly 15k plus it can stay there lol would be to scared ride it !!!!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

JHB1984

I agree with you completely. For us mere mortals the chassis will be more than capable on the road. However, I don't think thats how it will be perceived by the masses. The "airbox frame" has an unfortunate connection with failure.

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Ducasti

I love me dukes, but cant help thinking that while these kinds of figures are fantastic (in engineering terms) they probably won't translate into any kind of bike that is really any use on the road, so will be almost irrelevant for most of us!!

Ducati.....please just give us some more great road bikes......(and save the fancy gizmos for Rossi, because his steed really does need sorting!!) 

Reply to this Topic
Ahyslop

Mar 04

Ahyslop says:

New Ducati

Half of the engine would make a fantastic light weight single.

Reply to this Topic
dopeyjoe

Aug 02

dopeyjoe says:

and at 3 times the price of a ZX10..........................

say no more....

same old same old...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices