Skip to content

Discuss This Bike industry wants ‘damaging’ insurance ad pulled from TV General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike industry wants ‘damaging’ insurance ad pulled from TV

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike industry wants ‘damaging’ insurance ad pulled from TV

The motorcycle industry is calling for insurance ads featuring a biker injured in a crash to be withdrawn from TV. The Motorcycle Industry Association says the Aviva ads, shown during the ITV’s period drama Downton Abbey, are damaging its efforts to get more people into biking. The 10-second ads, referred to as ‘idents’, dramatise the real-life story an Aviva customer...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 September 2011 11:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Alittle over sensitive

I don't think the video puts anything in a bad light, accidents happen. He could havee just as well have been in a car. People do get hurt in cars you know?

But I do think the industry is being just a little bit over sensitive because it does of course include a motorcyclist. It's a reality. Maybe it will help keep more of us riders more attentive and hopefully safer? I hope so.

Reply to this Topic
li4mc

Jun 09

li4mc says:

I don't see a problem with this advert its a risk we all take every time we get on our bikes. Ant to be honest if that happend to me it might be good to be insured lol

Reply to this Topic
bluto

Dec 10

bluto says:

Adverse Publicity

Water off a Duck's back. Remember when "Born again" Bikers were reckoned to be the most "At Risk" group?.Well, this 1 is STILL here despite numerous un-successful attempts by other road users to end my not always legal progress. It's ONLY an Add for Petes sake!.

Reply to this Topic
joshcherry93

Jan 11

joshcherry93 says:

wtf

Bit bloody depressing! why cant they just show someone jumping through fire backwards with people in bikini's and fireworks. I'd buy that insurance, this is like something off bloody eastenders. sorry if you think thats offensive its just i hate these pesamistic depressing ads!!

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

I agree with the MIA

The MIA is simply pointing out that this TV ad highlights the risks involved with motorcycling. They rightly claim that this may well make their task of attracting riders more difficult. They have a valid point and are entitled to express it. I sympathise with the biker in question, but there does seem to be something a little distasteful in an insurance company attempting to increase it's sales on the back of his misfortune. Is it just me that thinks this kind of advertising is inappropriate?

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

This ad came on when I was watching telly with my misses, well that did not go down well. People already think bikers are all organ donors in waiting and while I sympathise with the ads victim it does no good at all and yes any vile insurance firm wanting to cash in on someones sensitive story is a joke!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

adverts

Perhaps they should insist that EVERY advert that shows a bike accident should also display IN BIG LETTERS that 50%+ (or whatever the latest stat is) of all bike accidents are caused by cars....

If in the advert above, the woman had said "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" then you saw his hand come up and punch the dozy bitch, it might have more impact....

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

People who want to ride bikes will ride bikes. Sadly, from time to time, they fuck up without any outside interference. As a result, insurance companies end up paying out from premiums which we ALL pay, unless you're an uninsured rider/driver, in which case I hope your dick  /tits fall off! 

Seriously, I don't think an advert will do much damage; poor riding and driving standards will though. How about lobbying for better training and more stringent driving tests, to include a psychometric test to risk  identification and attitude to road usage being introduced?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Surely, Aviva are just promoting income protection. What's the big deal?

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

So?

Where's the TV ad to act as a counterpoint, actually promoting motorcyclinng?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle