Skip to content

Discuss This Ireland confirms hi-vis plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ireland confirms hi-vis plans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ireland confirms hi-vis plans

Ireland’s Road Safety Authority has confirmed plans to make all motorcyclists wear high-visibility clothing. A spokesman for the authority said: “We do intend to seek to introduce the measure in 2014, subject to consultation with motorcyclists and industry on the most appropriate type of hi-vis material and possible solutions." Nich Brown, General Secretary of the Motorcycle Action Group, said: "Too many...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 September 2011 17:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cormac58

Jan 10

Cormac58 says:

Hi Vis

I'm Irish, 19 and just passed my test. I've done advanced motorcycle training, and everything I can to keep myself safe. I have a BMW F800S, and I will not, wear compulsory Hi Vis. It's just another method to try and kill off motorcycling and I will not help that happen. This is a way of life, a way of life I intend to carry on. If you want to wear Hi Vis, fair enough. But I will NOT be made do it. End of.

Reply to this Topic
firkit

Apr 05

firkit says:

Hi vis

This does not work car drives do not vehicles with flashing lights and sirens making noise so what chance o Have they got off seeing a biker wearing a bright yellow top ?

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

hi viz have

there uses i wore one part of last winter  and ............. they keep some of the road salt n shit of you jacket !!!! , that is all they are good for it makes no difference , like most guys have said if they aint lookin they dont see you no matter what u are wearing:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

That's fine. Don't go to Ireland!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

What about cyclists?

If motorcyclists have to wear day-glo, why not cyclists as well coz they are a lot smaller and less visible and don't even need compulsory lights! They need them even more than we do for when they ride on pavements, through red traffic lights (that happens so often and I can't believe they get away with it so much) and wander all over lanes and expect every other vehicle to get out of their way etc. One law that should be brought in for cyclists is that riding 2 abreast should be illegal coz they do it even on single track roads and make others slow to their speed. Rant over!

Reply to this Topic
stolkien

Aug 04

stolkien says:

will push bike riders have the same fate ??? they should

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Re. kl595

Don't go to Ireland? That would be a real shame it's a great place to visit on a bike and the people are great too. When the Euro disappears once and for all round the great economic U-bend Irish politicians will be too busy fighting for their careers to be concerned with pushing through half-witted legislation that no-one wants.

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

loopholes

The law will state some form of hi vis will be compulsory but not what. Why not have a dayglo message in letters on your jacket. Something like "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE DRIVING YOU TWAT!"

It's hi vis and undeniably a reinforcement of the need for keen observation by motorists

I personally am going  for a fluorescent orange shirt  that  says "OI CYCLIST CUNT! WHEN YOU PAY ROAD TAX AND GET AN MOT AND INSURANCE YOU CAN CLAIM EQUAL RIGHTS ON MY ROADS!"

Reply to this Topic
mcman600

Mar 11

mcman600 says:

This is a rediculous legislation. How can they penalise motorcyclists for the accidents caused by car drivers its just not fair. I have lost all faith in the EU at this stage, they are abusing their power to the highest degree. I have emailed every TD in Ireland that I could get an email address for regarding this and hopefully I will get a response but not counting on it. Every motorcyclist should do the same in my opinion otherwise this legislation will be passed before you know it.

Reply to this Topic
yammy7r

Apr 09

yammy7r says:

VIS

If a car driver cant' see a motor cycle with a headlight on why would a hi-vis vest make any difference tucked behind a faring,

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices