Skip to content

Discuss This Deaths and casualties rise at speed camera sites General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Deaths and casualties rise at speed camera sites

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Deaths and casualties rise at speed camera sites

Deaths and casualties have risen at scores of speed camera sites across the country.  Cameras that have led to a rise in accidents have been laid bare under government requirements to publish casualty data. In Kent, one site has seen deaths and serious injuries quadruple from one in three years before the camera to four in three years after. Another of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 September 2011 17:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tractorboybig

Nov 10

surely its not the cameras fault.

its the morons reaction to seeing them.

if they were riding correctly using the vision distance required for the speed and manner of riding then it would make no difference.

If the speed limit is 30 then it is thirty why do you brain dead keep moaning about an instrument to enforce that law?????? 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Very balanced reply there , a little heavy on the simpathy maybe?

Reply to this Topic
DaytonaBloke

Mar 11

DaytonaBloke says:

Given the way most car drivers brake suddenly in front of all speed cameras even if they are already travelling under the speed limit I'm not surprised.

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

Distracted

I can see why cameras cause this problem. Driving - or riding occupies plenty of your faculties and it's easy to creep a few miles over the speed limit. The natural reaction when you see a camera is to brake regardless of your speed simply because it is an outside threat of one sort. When driving you have other distractions as - radio, phone etc. on top of that. When riding you can be distracted by the noise. The constant barrage absorbs your ability to focus and cameras just ramp up this way out of proportion.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I read with interest the other day

that a peadophile who actually admitted to sexually abusing a small child was not given any kind of sentence, as the judge felt that "there was no point"

Whereas somebody can actually be sent to prison for excessive speed, even if it did not result in any harm or injury to any persons or property of any type. Apparrently in a recent government survey, excess speed played a part in only 6% crashes that resulted in a fatality. So why the witch hunt? I think every reasonable and intelligent person knows the answer to that don't they. Afterall, MP's have got to pay for their second house somehow.

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

simple

When your looking at the speedo,even for a fraction of a second(at a posibly critical moment),you aint got eyes on the road and surroundings. Thats going to cause accidents. I hate the bloody things but have never been done by one, I just dont like the distraction.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Scrap 'em!

We have had enough evidence, its not just the speeders that brake as has already been said, lots of people panic and stamp on the brakes when you are not expecting it. Get rid of the cameras, then the police can spend more time catching people on the phone which is infinitely more dangerous. Just stand by any traffic lights and watch how many people who stop are on the phone. If police made the effort, they would make a fortune, and justifiably!!

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Speed Cameras

Speed is not the big issue it's made out to be. the main problem (speed wise) is inapproprate speed.

It is more dangerous to do 30 in a 30 limit if conditions mean 20 is the approprate speed than it is to do 40 in a 30 limit when the conditions are right.

Speed is an easy offence to detect & record, if you are over the limit then you are speeding. Other more dangerous offences are harder to detect and/or prove so continue to cause accidents where speed often gets the blame.

While we all complain about the limits, they are there & should be followed. In the past (before speed cameras) police used discretion, cameras don't.

As for the increased danger caused by speed cameras both the authorities & the driving public have to share the blame. 1: The driving public as if they didn't speed there would not be a single speed camera.

2: The authorities as if the completely hid the camera then you wouldn't have the sudden braking they cause.

I don't know what the answer is but speed cameras 'as is' are not working.

Reply to this Topic
stevowarrior

Jun 06

stevowarrior says:

Speed Cameras

This article suipports what I have always said, statistics never lie they merely conceal the truth. Speed cameras actually create a problem rather than solve one. You only need to follow traffic passed a camera or watch your own behaviour and you will see what I mean. Nearly every driver slows for the camera and nearly every driver ACCELLERATES away from it, often to a higher speed than they were initially travelling. Common sense ( thats the thing everybody seems to have abandoned these days) tells you this is not what you want to achieve.  At the end of the day accidents are caused by bad driving, the odd mechanical defect aside. The severity of the accident may be down to speed but not the cause. Its time they tacked the real problem and turned the cameras on mobile phone users for one!

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

supermario

The figure for speed related accidents is 6.5% and has been for many years.

The cops just miultiply it by ten .........or can't read decimal points..............but somehow are deemed capable of reading a speed gun.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices