Skip to content

Ask an Expert advice on European tour for newbie Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > advice on European tour for newbie

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

debthehog

Sep 11

debthehog says:

advice on European tour for newbie

I'm itching to do a European tour next year. I passed my test in May this year and have a ten-year old Hornet 600. I have been away for a few weekends so I'm getting quite confident. She's in good nick and low mileage

I would like to get to Austria. (We live near Manchester) but hubbie thinks it's too far. He has a BMW 650fs. Can anyone suggest a route to cut my teeth on? I was thinking of ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge or Hook (cheating slightly - i know) then perhaps Belgium, Holland Germany for a week or so?  

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 September 2011 16:11)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

touring

Take some spare brake, gear and clutch levers, and the tools to change them. It would be a shame if you dropped it and broke a lever (looks like you were lucky enough to just bend the front brake lever last time), and it buggered up your holiday.

Reply to this Topic
Basilisk

Sep 11

Basilisk says:

Do it

you'll love it!

It is tiring covering a lot of miles but it's a great adventure - from the moment you get on the ferry. Just don't overstretch yourself covering too many miles in one day. The worst part of a European tour from Manchester is the sh*t journey down to Dover, but you'll avoid that if you cross at Hull.
They're much more bike friendly in Europe too. Once you get away from the main routes the roads are quieter than the UK.
Some beautiful scenery in Germany - the Black Forest etc and the B500 is a fantastic road.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Touring

Don't worry about your bike being a 10-year old Hornet.  I do my annual tour to Spain on a 13-year old, 40,000 mile bike.  If the bike is in good condition then you'll be fine; although I would recomment taking out Europeran breakdown cover just for peace of mind.  Service your bike before you go and make sure there is pleanty of life left in your tyres, chain and brake pads.

Keep your initial mileage target to between 200-250 miles per day. Also, allow a few days off the road to stop and see some of the places you come accross. No point in riding through everywhere without having the time to stop and spend some time in places you find interesting.  

Lay out all the gear/clothing that you think you'll need for the trip and only take half of it.  Trust me!!  Use waterproof bags inside you luggage for things like passports, mobile phones and wallets etc.  Give your other half a spare set of keys for your bike and you carry a set for his. 

I could go on and on buth these basics should get you started.  Go!!  You will love every minute of it. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Why not Austria?

If the force is telling you to go to Austria, then go to Austria. It's about 800m to Vienna  from Calais give or take. all the motorways are free if you steer clear of France and covering 2-300 miles a day is not difficult on modern fast roads.  I think it is good to have something to aim for on a ride, then be flexible in how you get there. You could ride to Cologne then follow the Rhine valley south and follow the course of the Danube to Vienna or you could head to Southern Germany and take in the delights of the Black Forest and Bavaria and maybe dip into Switzerland or N. Italy. Be careful though, if you go riding in the Alps you will want to return again.

Good luck persuading hubbie!

Reply to this Topic
grumbleweeduk

Aug 11

GO ON!!

You'll be fine! Austria is FANTASTIC place to be. Haven't done it by bike yet (just passed my test too!) but went over there in my old land-rover! We stayed at a campsite in Werfern (where they filmed Where eagles dare!) and loved every minute of it. Went to Berchtesgarten just over the border, up to the eagles nest. Driving abroad is so much nicer - less traffic, more courteous and better services than here.

Do it - before the EU makes it illegal!

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Austria

I haven't done Austria but have been through france a few times, you will probably avridge about 50mph dependent on what roads you use, give you bike a good service a couple of weeks before leaving, make sure your rubber has plenty of life in it, also treat your self to a puncture repair kit. i have a tank bag i keep my wet kit in along with all the paperwork pasports etc. for easy access.you can also wip it off and take it with you when you have to leave the bike. also worth having change in a easy to access pocket for any toll roads.

there is also a good website that I will help www.ebbo.aug have a look on the left there are a list of tours these guys have done,with photosand  its well written ,also ther are  links to other sites. let us know how u r getting on.;-)

P.S. My bike is 1996  and is still going strong (see photo)

Reply to this Topic
oct75

Sep 11

oct75 says:

Go there

Hi

Just go for it , the Alps are amazing you really need to see them . Your Honda will go there and back without a problem .A group of us has just come back from Athen . We left Scotland got the ferry at Newcastle on £400 max budget bikes youngest was 14yr old Transalp in between were an FZR1000 , XJ600 , GPX750 , 2 CBR600s and the oldest was a Z500 32yrs old !!! . The Z500 did have an dodgy coil which gave up just as we arrived at the ferry but managed to get another one after most the morning when we arrived in Amsterdam after that it was caned all the way and never gave up  , the only terminal was the GPX . Stopped for a day and a half to watch the Erzberg Enduro in Austria (amazing race) then to Slovenia , Bosnia , Montenegro , Croatia , Albania , Greece ( Athens) . Got rid off the bikes and flew home . Great trip will do it again somewhere else              

Reply to this Topic
skill

Apr 10

skill says:

advice on european tour for newbie

The bikes are no problem, sound advice from MarcusMarsh. Service n breakdown cover, good from everyone else too its just what they say. In July i travelled from Newcastle to Hull-Rotterdam then into Germany, two nights halfwayish "Mossel Valley"  then onto Austria for 5 days FANTASTIC. Back up, stopped two days "took in the Nurburgring" then back to ferry. 2500mls. Go at your own pace and take it all in, German beers great too no hangover :biggrin:.  Was home about 10wks and went back to Black Forrest its that good. 

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

Austria

Warning!

If you go to Austria, prepare to become addicted!

I love it!

Don't forget to ask for a bike vignette, about €5 for 10 days, at your 1st petrol stop over the border. They still charge tolls on some roads so be prepared.

I think Skill's last photo is of Kaunertal, which had a €10 toll last year, for instance. It's a dead end so if visibility is poor, wait for a clear day.

http://www.alpentourer.com/ a great website for any biking in the alps.

Many of the passes can be closed until late May and my I tend to visit in early Sept.

Good luck

Wynn

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
skill

Apr 10

skill says:

European tour

My, Wynner that was good even i couldn`t remember that and i was their.Yes culdesac, a ski resort. Lovely restorant at the top and the beef  borg luuush. Forgot too the vignette (its still stuck on me screen), buy one, im told its a very heffty fine if you get caught without one.went through the milatery tunnel (had to pay) its single rd, op by lights and tiny. Did 70mph and seemed like 170. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices