Skip to content

Discuss This Bikers take over motorways in EU demo General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikers take over motorways in EU demo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikers take over motorways in EU demo

Thousands of motorcyclists took over motorways for half-an-hour on Sunday in protest over EU plans. Bikers made their feelings known with go-slow rides taking place simultaneously from around 100 starting points across the country.  Processions of hundreds of motorcyclists rode at 45mph for 10 miles in the EU Hands Off Biking demonstrations, organised by the Motorcycle Action Group. In London, police stopped other traffic as...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 September 2011 10:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Excellent

Unfortunately I couldn't be there but a mate of mine was there and said that it was all well behaved and hopefully got the message across.

In your list of things that the EU are proposing, I do feel that the odd one out is the ABS. I really dont have a problem with that. Sure, it may cost a bob or two more, but then I'm sure safety belts cost more to add to a car and no one complains because it is so obviously a safety benefit.

The anti tampering stuff appears to have little or no benefit and appears to be as ill thought out as the proposals to force us all to dress up like lollypop ladies.

While I'm on that subject, could you all please stop wearing that silly stuff - the more of us that wear it, the more likely some do-gooder from parliament will see it and go "that looks like a good idea, it must be safe" - which it is not. The monkey that sideswiped me in London couldn't see my headlight, couldn't see my vast bike, couldn't hear my substantially illegal exhaust. Dressing like a Koko the bleedin clown would have made similarly little effect on him.

Perhaps the solution is rather than campaign against safety proposals that will have no impact on safety, we should campaign for car drivers to be fined and receive points for: placing their TomTom directly in their line of sight, using a mobile phone while driving, sending text messages should be a ban-able offence, fog lights on ALL vehicles should default to OFF so that the simpletons at the wheel dont leave them on for months and blind us in the rain. The list would doubtless be endless.

Reply to this Topic
CrazyG

Apr 09

CrazyG says:

News

This was the top story on BBC South Today's evening news but the local ITV broadcast didn't touch it at all.  Seemingly, stories about some sheep and 4 half marathons where more newsworthy for them!

I was there on the M40 in Oxfordshire and it was a really good natured event.  The police where there to oversee but didn't really intervene, other than to stop other traffic at the exit from the services so the bikes could get through.  Plenty of people in cars that got held up were waving at us, so they seemed quite accepting of the delay.  I guess it was a novelty for them to see so many bikes in one place, as it was for me too!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

A well attended ride from Donington services down to Leicester... a few nobs decided to break the law & cause an obstruction to the fast lane but that was less that 1% of vast crowd we had. Got soaked on the ride back but who cares.

ABS - love it but it should be your choice.

Hi-Vis - use it sometimes in winter/dark... again should be your choice 'cos again it can be advantageous is some situations & not in others.

Anti-tampering - will have an effect on aftermarket parts producers/sales & will eventually result in redundancies and bikes that are not roadworthy going unserviced.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Bike ABS

Comments re ABS:- ABS simply does not work if the vehicle is used off road so for those vehicles it is essential that the ABS system can be switched off in those circumstances. The proposed legislation does not make allowances for that.

Everytime a supposed safety device has been introduced in cars the number of accidents have slightly gone up whereas the injuries to the occupants have gone down. Car's are safe to crash in because of crumple zones/ air bags/ seat belts etc. Motorbikes on the other hand don't offer this protection so the simple fitment of ABS could lead to riders relying on it moreso and having more crashes (a correpsonding campaign in italy for daylight headlights being on all the time also resulted in biker accident rates going up). Braking affects the steering of most bikes when leant over to some degree or another. The ABS systems that are currently developed for bikes work in a fairly straight line with the bike upright but aren't anywhere near so good if the bike is leant over. I'm not convinced car technology ABS systems being transferred to bikes will really save lives. Let's not be neive enough to think that ABS technology is fully fit for purpose in ALL applications because in some scenarios it may be a hinderance.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

M62 Westbound

We rode with, I'm guessing around 200-300 other bikers, starting off from Hartshead Moor Services. An excellent turnout, I thought, given the day's overcast skies and Yorkshire drizzle. It was so very encouraging to see such a diversity of different machinery too: everything from brand new sports bikes to 30 year old ratters and supermotos to sidecars, trikes and everything in between.

Assuming the EU doesn't actually fold in the next couple of years, I'd be delighted to attend similar protests EVERY Sunday to protect motorcycling from the bastards in Brussels.

Reply to this Topic
HerbertChapman

Sep 10

I reckon alll things 'Euro' are about to become

political poison when Greece defaults and we are all thrown into at least two decades of poverty and hardship courtesy of a failed Eurozone.

Mind you, we won't be able to afford any petrol either :-(

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

ABS...

This is just the sweetner for the whole deal...  Of course people will vote in a brand new safety feature without really reading any of the other stuff.  I joined the Essex run yesterday and there was an excellent turnout.

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

ABS...

This is just the sweetner for the whole deal...  Of course people will vote in a brand new safety feature without really reading any of the other stuff.  I joined the Essex run yesterday and there was an excellent turnout.

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

@Hedgehog5 - re nobs obstructing the fast lane... at M4 Reading services there was a MAG representative who gave a briefing about not using Lane 3, allowing traffic to merge at intervening junctions etc. - did they not do the same at Donington?

Reply to this Topic
fryatuck

Aug 09

fryatuck says:

sort yourselves out & leave us alone

Never mind new rules for Bikers... How about the EU concentrate on all the drivers from the EU who come over here without any insurance.... Daily Express page 2. Sort yourselves out & leave us alone...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices